We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Friday, July 3, 2015

It All Works For Our Good


You say, what about war or illness or an accident or the death of a loved one--how can these things possibly work to my good?  Well, I cannot answer that in detail, but I can tell you something that will include every eventuality and possibility.  If you really believe in God, anything that may happen to you will drive you nearer to God, and anything that drives you nearer to him is a "good" thing for you.  I will apply this to your experience as I apply it to my own; let us be frank and honest.  When life is running smoothly and easily, and the sun is shining in the heavens, and everything is going well, how easy it is to forget all about God.  We do not seem to need him, and we forget him, and we are far away from him.  But then something goes wrong--there is an announcement of war, or there is trouble or an accident--and these things drive me back to my knees.  I then get nearer to God, and "It is good for me that I have been afflicted" because "before I was afflicted I went astray" (Psalm 119:71, 67).  Each one of us can echo the sentiment of the psalmist.  God sometimes has to chastise us in order to draw us a little nearer to himself.

D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones, Let Not Your Heart Be Troubled, p.41

No comments: