Saturday, May 12, 2012
10 Keys to Witnessing to Cults
The following are the notes I took during a plenary session taught by Ron Rhodes at the 2012 St. Louis Conference on Biblical Discernment. There are some good things to think about.
Counterfeit Jesus + counterfeit gospel = counterfeit salvation.
1. Don’t assume all cultists believe the same thing. Ask them what they believe - don’t tell them what they believe.
2. Know your Bible
3. Beware that cultists are trained to answer objections. Take the discussion to the Bible and keep it there.
4. Always check the Bible when citations are given. This way you can demonstrate context.
5. Define terms. They talk the same language with different meanings.
6. Ask Strategic Questions; make them think.
e.g. Jehovah’s Witnesses: was God without witness for over 18 centuries? How can Jesus be “mighty God” with Deut. 32:39; Isa. 45:5. 1961 NWT Bible, Hebrews 1:6 says “worship,” while 1971 version says “do obeisance” - why the change?
Good resource is http://www.witnessinc.com/
7. Be loving - be humble! Avoid highly critical approach.
8. Demonstrate the Deity of Christ:
a. Isa. 44:24 cf. Col. 1:16 Creator
b. Isa. 43:11 cf. Tit. 2:13-14 Savior
c. Isa. 6:1-5 cf. Jn. 12:41 Glory
9. Emphasize God’s Gospel of Grace. Paint a dark picture of what they “need” for salvation and then provide the light of the Gospel. e.g. LDS “be ye perfect” - a rope to heaven; how far could you get? Joseph Fielding Smith said we must be better today than yesterday!
10. Give your testimony. Ask them, “Are you ready to die?”