We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Sunday, January 8, 2017

I Know Whom I Have Believed

I know not why God's wondrous grace 
to me he hath made known, 
nor why, unworthy, Christ in love 
redeemed me for his own. 

I know not how this saving faith 
to me he did impart, 
nor how believing in his word 
wrought peace within my heart. 

I know not how the Spirit moves, 
convincing us of sin, 
revealing Jesus through the word, 
creating faith in him. 

I know not what of good or ill
May be reserved for me,
Of weary ways or golden days,
Before His face I see.


I know not when my Lord may come, 
at night or noonday fair, 
nor if I walk the vale with him, 
or meet him in the air. 

Refrain: 
But I know whom I have believed, 
and am persuaded that he is able 
to keep that which I've committed 
unto him against that day. 

by Daniel W. Whittle, 1883

5 comments:

Doug Evans said...

I love these old hymns and I'm so happy that the Lord has lead me to a church family of Bereans that continue to sing them.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

It was one of a couple oldies we sang yesterday, and I just felt the need to post it!

16 sermons said...

The often missing fifth verse.

I know not what of good or ill
May be reserved for me,
Of weary ways or golden days,
Before His face I see.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

I like it! Not in the two hymnals in my house.

16 sermons said...

We love singing the old hymns! So much depth and theology in the words. Wonderful melodies. I have several of the hymns we sing on my youtube channel. Keep up the good work!