We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Monday, January 2, 2017

Books I Read In 2016

I’m doing this because I’ve read other bloggers doing so.  Sort of gives you an idea what drives us, what our interests are, etc, to give you a bit more insight as to what kind of people we are and what rattles around in our brains.  I’ve deleted the lists for the past two years after they had been posted for several months, just to clean out obsolete articles.

This year was a slow year for reading books, especially when there were too many days away from home. And with so many journals and newsletters to read, as well as articles printed from the Internet, I didn’t get many books read! 

A few books were repeat reads for me for various reasons.  Those will be noted in blue.  For the most part, the titles should tell you what the subject was.  You’ll notice that my two favorite subjects are history and theology.

One other thing: Since we have been married I have read books to my wife while she is doing hand sewing; it’s a good way to spend time together.  I used to read to the family also, but the kids are on their own now.  But I do note the ones read to her.

A Pocket Guide to Compromise, by Answers in Genesis.  How to avoid compromising Scripture with so-called “science.”

Scottish Miscellany, by Jonathan Green.  Lots of trivia about the Scots and Scotland throughout history.

Illustrated Slovak History, by Anton spies & Dusan Caplovic.

Heartland: An Exhibition From the Collection of the Heritage Center of Clark County, by Burton K. Kummerow.  My hometown, Springfield, Ohio, is the county seat for Clark County, and it is where the heritage center (huge museum) is located.  We bought this book on our last trip to Springfield in 2004 and I finally got around to reading it.

Ante-Nicene Fathers, Vol. 3, Tertullian I, II, II

Truth Overruled: The Future of Marriage and Religious Freedom, by Ryan T. Anderson

One Bible Only? by Roy E. Beacham & Kevin T. Bauder, editors.  A polemic against the KJV Only ideology.

Navy Seals: Their Untold Story, by Dick Couch and William Doyle.  Received for Christmas 2015.

The Four Feathers, by A.E.W. Mason.  NOVEL!!! I bought this several years ago so as to know the real story as compared to two movie versions we have.  It’s been so long that I read it that I couldn’t remember, so I read it again this year right after watching both movies.

Turning Toward Joy, by David Jeremiah  (Philippians study).  This was passed to me so I read it to see if it was any good.  Of some value, but nothing new to me or worth keeping, so I got rid of it.

Israel:  A Secret Documentary, by Lance Lambert.  Given to me by a friend.

A Basic History of the United States, Vol. 1: The Colonial Experience 1607-1774, by Clarence B. Carson

How the West Was Lost, Coping With Life in a Strange, New Civilization, by Patrick Michael Murphy

Brothers: The Hidden History of the Kennedy Years, by David Talbot. Given by a friend.

Dining With the Devil: The Megachurch Movement Flirts with Modernity, by Os Guinness

God’s Crime Scene, by J. Warner Wallace.  Picked up at a conference.

The Spirit of Naval Aviation, by the National Naval Aviation Museum.  This one has been waiting since 2012 when I bought it at the Naval Aviation Museum!

Searching For Jesus, by Robert J. Hutchinson.  Really good confirming evidence from archaeology.

The Complete Idiot’s Guide to the Vietnam War, by Timothy P. Maga, Ph.D.  Just one of many books I’ve read on the topic.

A Basic History of the United States, Vol. 2: The Beginning of the Republic 1775-1825, by Clarence B. Carson

Of Blood and Hope: From Soviet occupation and Nazi slavery to the summits of American intellectual, political and business life, a moving saga of struggle, survival and triumph, by Samuel Pisar.  Another book given to me by a friend.

Studies in the Sermon on the Mount, by D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones.  I read it anew before passing it on to another blogger.

The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexadre Dumas.  NOVEL!  This was one I read to my wife.

Women in the Church, edited by Andreas J. Kostenberter & Thomas R. Schreiner

A Basic History of the United States, Vol. 3: The Sections and the Civil War 1826-1877, by Clarence B. Carson

The Last Camel Charge, by Forest Bryant Johnson.  History of camels in the U.S. Army.

America’s Homefront Air War: Civil Air Patrol Against German Submarines in World War II, by Roger Theil.  New book which raised my curiosity because I spent 10 years as a member of the CAP.

Eusebius: The Church History, translated by Paul L. Maier  Ten years since I last read it and I wanted a refresher.

Operation Mincemeat, by Ben Macintyre.  About a secret ruse against German in WWII; a movie was made about the operation: “The Man Who Never Was.”  It’s one of our favorite movies, which is essentially pretty factual but when it was made too much was still classified (and Hollywood added some romance).  My wife got curious so I read it to her.

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, by Dee Brown.   I’ve been wanting to read this one for decades and finally bought it with a Barnes & Nobel gift card.

Adam-God Doctrine Examined, by Melaine N. Layton.  This is about a pernicious Mormon doctrine which they now deny.

Walking in Power, Love, and Discipline: 1&2 Timothy/Titus, by Kay Arthur, David Lawson, Bob Vereen.  Given to me with a stack of books from a woman who died.

On Fire for Christ: Stories of Anabaptist Martyrs, by Dave and Neta Jackson

Six Days in June: Israel’s Fight For Survival, by Robert J. Donovan, et al.  About the 1967 6-day war, given to me by a friend.

This Great Nation: The Things That Made it Great - And How We Lost Them,  by Mal Couch, Ph.D., Th.D.  A friend loaned this to me — thought I should read it.

Orthodoxy, by G.K. Chesterton.


There you have it.  Perhaps some of these titles will pique your interest enough to buy them!

(By way of a background, when I was in high school I began keeping a list of the books I read, but that disappeared while I was in the Army.  I started again in 1975 after I left the Army, and off and on since, but always forgetting about the lists; family life and five moves left the idea behind until 2004 when I started again and have kept the list going since!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Glenn,
I love that you read aloud to your wife while she sews. What a wonderful way to spend time together. I am glad to hear of people doing simple things like this still. Thanks for sharing that!
Jennifer

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Hi Jennifer,

I've always liked reading while Jill not so much back when she was younger. I began reading books to her soon after we were married. She got to like reading! She read to the kids of course when they were growing up, but I've always been the main reader for the family. Jill does a lot of reading now, but she mainly reads novels whereas I mainly read non-fiction.

We do a lot of things together!

Jesse Albrecht said...
This comment has been removed by the author.