We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Monday, July 25, 2011

Old and “New” Songs

Yesterday we sang one of those trite “new” choruses from 20-some years ago to close out our service, which just shows that 24/7 songs are nothing new.  Bind Us Together is a feel-good song with absolutely no substance, and doesn’t give a thought to the fact that division may need to come due to false teachings.  Here are the lyrics for your perusal:
Bind us together, Lord;
Bind us together
With chords that cannot be broken.
Bind us together, Lord;
Bind us together, Lord;
Bind us together with Love.
There is only one God, 
There is only one King, 
There is only one body;
That is why we can sing.
Then you go back to the beginning.  So is the fact that there is only one God, King, and body really the reason we can sing?  In a previous church I attended we were supposed to all hold hands while we swayed to this song.  I really, really didn’t like that.
Well, we had a much better song before the sermon, Wonderful Grace of Jesus, which is a good reminder of His grace.
Wonderful grace of Jesus, 
Greater than all my sin.
How shall my tongue describe it?
Where shall its praise begin?
Taking away my burden, 
Setting my spirit free;
For the wonderful grace of Jesus reaches me.
Refrain:
Wonderful the matchless grace of Jesus;
Deeper than the mighty rolling sea.
Higher than the mountain, 
Sparkling like a fountain;
All sufficient grace for even me.
Broader than the scope of my transgressions;
Greater far than all my sin and shame.
O magnify the precious name of Jesus;
Praise His name!
Wonderful grace of Jesus,
Reaching to all the lost.
By it I have been pardoned,
Saved to the uttermost.
Chains have been torn asunder, 
Giving me liberty;
For the wonderful grace of Jesus reaches me.
Wonderful grace of Jesus,
Reaching the most defiled.
By its transforming power
Making him God’s dear child.
Purchasing peace and heaven
For all eternity;
For the wonderful grace of Jesus reaches me.

1 comment:

ali said...

I find the older I get - the more I come to realize we as a church tread on a very shakey foundation -

I see little holiness, more tolerance - less commitment to follow and more leaning and learning to swallow.

In our service yesterday,I felt such confusion and so much distraction with unruly kids [parents]and rambling elders giving disjointed mini sermons before communion, but no scripture readings. Came home irritated and ready to sit out next weeks service.

Perhaps I was not alone - wonder what was going on in the heavenlies?

Maranatha.!!.