We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Monday, July 18, 2011

Adam No More Real Than Santa?

The following is from Jan Markell’s Understanding the Times newsletter from Olive Tree Ministries, July/August 2011 issue.
Jan’s radio guest on June 18, 2011, Ken Ham, sounded a warning about the June issue of Christianity Today.  Ham, and his Answers In Genesis ministry, always attempt to stand for truth with regard to issues related to the book of Genesis.  The June issue of CT spends a lot of ink searching for the historical Adam, or more precisely, explaining why we shouldn’t expect there to be one unless we’re willing to redefine what we mean by historical.  The issue, which gives a hearing to many opinions, eventually concludes with something analogous to “No, Virginia, there really wasn’t one, but if you think his existence is really foundational to your beliefs, we’ll just agree that the jury is still out and not worry about it.  After all, science rules.”  In other words, Christianity Today is once again challenging the authority of God’s Word.
The magazine attempts to support a Genesis story that is a nice allegory explaining how God gave human beings a “spiritual and moral nature.”  Christianity Today has been moving Left for decades and is coming close to abandoning some tenets of orthodox Christianity.
Now you know why so many apologists refer to CT as “Christianity Astray.”

10 comments:

Christian Ease said...

It's too bad the Bible wasted all that space on genealogies.

Anonymous said...

So, are we in the Great Falling Away described in the Bible? If so, then Jesus' question, "Will I find (the) Faith on the earth upon return?"-What does it mean for the churches on every other corner?

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Hi Anonymous,

I think we are certainly in a period with great falling away, as we see daily from the newspapers and other media which report on the church. We see denominations falling like dominoes to the homosexual agenda and to the social gospel. We see them collapsing before the assault of emergent and other heretical movements, we see them joining the feel-goodism of Osteen and Warren. It gets more and more difficult to find a solid assembly built on the Firm Foundation.

ali said...

If once chooses to not believe Noah was a real person, created in the image of God, used by God to keep the promise made to Adam and Eve - if one also chooses to not believe in Noah, even though Jesus Himself spoke of Noah as did Paul, then why would one choose to believe anything the Bible has to say?

As for me and my house, we WILL serve the LORD.

ali said...

I have Noah on my mind as I am reading the account of the flood so - my previous comment makes no sense - even to me. :-(

Please consider it my old age and forgive. :-)

A great book I highly recommend is Dr. Henry Morris' The Genesis Record.

In the time since modern man has kept records - much has become extinct, but nothing has evolved - so man could not have evolved from pond scum or thin air.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Your comment made sense to me - I just thought you were carrying the logic farther! The guys CT interviewed also think that Noah is more myth than reality. Yet Jesus spoke of him as a real person.

I have "The Genesis Record," as well as several other Morris books. Good stuff.

Anonymous said...

Made sense to me too, especially after Glenn and my post re the falling away..."As in the days of Noah..." Only 8 rightious left then.

ali said...

Thanks for your kindness to the elderly. :-)

Whether Adam or Noah - when one refuses to believe His Word - they indeed stand on sinking sand.

Emily said...

I ordered a subscription to CT a little over a year ago, having known nothing about the magazine, but listening to a suggestion. I was sickened by it over and over. Especially by the topic in question in your post. No one else in my sphere seemed to understand the problem! Needless to say, I no longer have a subscription.

I'm glad I wasn't just crazy or oversensitive.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Hi Emily,

Welcome to my blog!

No, you weren't crazy or oversensitive - you were discerning! I had a subscription to CT over a decade ago and only for one year because it drove me crazy with all the false teachings it promoted. I don't find much use for that magazine except to see what false teaching they promote next!