We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Monday, August 20, 2012

Random Apostasies and Heresies


It has been a very busy week for me, including three days away from home, making it difficult to get much research done.  So here is another episode of exposing the darkness to the light of the truth.

David Barton has been in the apologetics and other theological news this past couple weeks, based on complaints about his misrepresentation of various historical events.  There has been so much about the issue that it is difficult to follow.  Apprising Ministries has done an excellent job of putting the information together so as to allow us to discern the truth from the evidence.  This isn’t the first time I’ve read of Barton’s misrepresentation of history.

The United Methodist denomination has been rife with apostasy for quite some time, as I have demonstrated in previous articles.  Last week I read of a Dallas UMC pastor observing Ramadan with Muslims.  I would appreciate it if someone could show me from the Bible where we are to worship with false religions; I just can’t find it.  What I DO find is that we are not to participate in idolatry!  Will this pastor be disciplined for this?  My guess would be, “no.”

Goatherd Ed Young is at it again, with his entertainment-oriented services.  Check out his “baby shark song,” and then tell me what this has to do with the worship of God!
Elizabeth Prata has a short, but good, commentary (and video) about this subject.

Australia has it’s own false teachers, of course.  I learned of a new one this week: Joshua Mills.  He has a “school of signs & wonders.”  [link gone by 12/16/16] Why is it that we don’t find this in Scripture?  Just another wolf feeding on the sheep.

Brian McLaren has been again exposed for false teachings, this time by Ken Silva at Apprising Ministries.  McLaren is a blatant universalist, and this time the heresy he preaches is that if Jesus, Moses, Buddha and Mohammed were together today, they’d “lead us into an encounter with the other” since we are “all God’s children.”  There is no way Jesus would ever point to an idolater as one we should have an “encounter” with.

There have been times in the past when I have mentioned “Dominionism” without really explaining what it is, assuming most of my readers would know.  I found an interesting article which does a very good job of succinctly explaining this false belief system.

Speaking of Dominionism, Erin, over at “Do Not Be Surprised...”, tells us of an event coming up in September, which promotes the whole idea of the USA having a covenant with God.  Yes, just like The Harbinger by Jonathan Cahn, thisAmerica for Jesus event claims 2 Chronicles 7:14 is a promise for the United States.  It is another event in the “One Nation Under God” series.  This whole dominion ideology is part of the teachings of the New Apostolic Reformation.  The events are rife with false teachers - stay away from them.

I am always surprised about how often people will speak highly of Joel Osteen as a “pastor.”  The man really has never demonstrated that he understands the Gospel, let alone any other Christian teaching.  I found an interesting article with a video about Osteen, demonstrating just how bad this guy is.  You really have to watch it.  John MacArthur says it well in the video - Osteen preaches a pagan religion.

Here’s cult I never heard of: The World Mission Society Church.  A friend sent me this link to their official site, and I see they have a Phoenix, AZ branch.  They believe in “God the Mother.”  Enough said.

Pat Robertson is one of those visible televangelist false teachers who the media loves.  Of course this is the sort of “Christianity” the media loves to hate.  Well, Robertson has again demonstrated how horrid his teachings can be; he said there is too much at risk when adopting a child.  You’ll have to read the article to see just how poorly this guy’s brain works.

Oh, and I just have to point you to another article about Beth Moore and her direct revelations from God.  I’ve heard of this “hair brush” story before, but I finally got to see it first-hand.  And you should, too.

(Today’s headline photo was “stolen” from Apprising Ministries, who gave a “hat tip” to Pirate Christian Radio for it.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That Methodist "pastor" seems to crave attention. He is a tone-deaf hypocrite for claiming we should fast in private when he is the most public fast-er I've ever heard of!

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

What can you expect from a false teacher!