We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Did They Really Say That?


?!?
Those who accept the Saviour, however sincere their conversion, should never be taught to say or to feel that they are saved.  This is misleading.  Everyone should be taught to cherish hope and faith; but even when we give ourselves to Christ and know that he accepts us, we are not beyond the reach of temptation. ... Those who accept Christ, and in their first confidence say, I am saved, are in danger of trusting to themselves.
Ellen G. White, Christ’s Object Lessons, p.155, written in 1900.

What does the  Bible say about knowing Christians are saved?  The following passages are from the New International Version, with my italic emphasis.

I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.  1 John 5:13

I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life John 5:24

I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life.  John 6:47

There are many more passages that can be produced to demonstrate that a believer can certainly be assured of their salvation.  Once again, E.G. White has been proven to be a false teacher, and those who follow her teachings are in bondage to legalism and false representation of not only the Gospel, but of God and Jesus as well.

4 comments:

Drew said...

I don't think they really believe in heaven anyway. So their salvation doesn't exactly mean anything.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Drew,

On the contrary, they actually DO believe in heaven. Many apologetics ministries say the SDA are cultic, but I think that's because there is enough truth taught that people can become Christians as SDA in SPITE of the false teachings.

To me, they are a clear-cut cult.

Drew said...

Oh, I thought you were quoting the Christian Science lady. Yeah, I think the SDA generally do have a good bit of truth.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Yep, but the error so outweighs the truth, that it's difficult to find the truth!