We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Exposing False Teachers


I have been wanting to work on some articles, but it seems as if life keeps me occupied.  My wife and I also got a chance to take off for a few days to celebrate our 36th anniversary.  So now I have a whole stack of “Random” stuff about darkness to expose to the light, which will be the next article to follow this post.

Of late I have received criticism for “naming names” while exposing false teachers (I know most apologetics ministries hear the same complaint).  I even had a false prophet claim that if I didn’t repent of “criticizing” other Christians, including ceasing such “critiques,” then God would silence me; I was given “40 days” before judgment would come.  Well that day has come and gone, and the “curse” I was given was that I would no longer bear fruit.

I don’t understand why Christians want to pretend bad teaching doesn’t exist, or that no one should criticize false teachings if it comes from a Christian.  I read a citation this past week, which was attributed to John Calvin:  “A dog barks when his master is attacked. I would be a coward if I saw the truth of God attacked and yet would remain silent.”

I have often heard it said that we should just teach the truth and people will learn to discern the difference.  While that may be true of mature Christians, the fact that half of what you find in “Christian” bookstores is false teaching and even heresy, proves that the average Christian is in great danger of being led into spiritual deception.

Others say we should just expose false teachings without naming who teaches such things.   Can you imagine a shepherd, knowing there are wolves in sheepskin among his flock, just telling them what wolves do without telling them who the wolves are?

Earlier this year I read an excellent article about the subject of naming names.  The argument is very well presented, using Scripture to prove that we do indeed need to name the names of false teachers so as to protect the sheep from the wolves.

I challenge all those who think naming names is wrong to do, to read the article and then, if you still feel it is wrong to expose names of false teachers, please demonstrate from Scripture why it is wrong.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a new Bible-believing Christian (former catholic), I really appreCiate naming of names and the warnings to the flock. Thank you.

ali said...

You are point on - keep naming names - keep speaking truth - continue to be a light in the continuing encroaching darkness.

Paul named names - said we are to judge the fruit of those who call themselves christian. His admonition to not judge was against those who judged other brothers who were doing the same things they themselves were doing -thus the beam/speck analogy.

We must be true to G-d and not man. Stand strong watchman, its only gonna get worse.

Marilyn said...

I would just like to say thank you for your blog and the truth you write.Please don't be discouraged by the critics they are obviously blind to the truth and seeking friendship and approval from the world.
You are doing a good job! I also read your wife's blog and I always come away feeling uplifted by her gentle words.
God's blessings to both of you
from Marilyn G. Sydney,Australia

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

I must say thank you to all of you for your kind words of encouragement. It's always good to know that the ministry the Lord has given me is of benefit to fellow believers.

The Piper's Wife said...

Marilyn, praising God with you! Thank you for your sweet words of encouragement. To encourage and uplift women is my hearts desire in this fallen world. May you realize how blessed you are in the LORD.