We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Tuesday, October 1, 2019

“The Message” is a Mess


To purposely ignore the proper translation of a passage and insert one that has no basis in the original languages in order to undergird a particular point of view is about the most dangerous thing that I can imagine. The only thing more concerning would be to discover large segments of  the evangelical community being incapable of discerning this kind of problem -- and not caring.

Gary E. Gilley, This Little Church Stayed Home: A faithful church in deceptive times, Pg.99-100 discussing “The Message” “translation.”

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, did Gilley ever hit the nail on the head, especially with his second sentence!

-Carolyn

Anonymous said...

I don't think anyone would read The Message as a study bible. But these free paraphrases can on occasion hit the nail on the head in good, punchy modern English that is lost in the literal versions (which should be used for study purposes).

In view of Greta Thunberg, I liked the Message version of Is 3 : 4:

He says, "I'll put little kids in charge of the city. Schoolboys and schoolgirls will order everyone around." How dare you!!

Compare the ESV "And I will make boys their princes, and infants shall rule over them".

I still remember doing a bible study through Romans over about a year where we used the Good News bible and the RSV. The former helped get at the meaning, whilst the latter introduced us to a literal translation using traditional biblical technical vocabulary (justification, sanctification, redemption etc.). A good combination.

So freer versions can have their place.

Ken B

PS I am a great admirer of Gary Gilley, and years ago briefly corresponded with him. He is so fair in his book reviews, always being willing to see what is good, even if he then has to warn of pitfalls or even outright error.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Ken,

I have to respectfully totally disagree with you about "The Message." There is NO redeeming value in that mess. To often it says exactly opposite of what a real Bible says, and it is full of new age teachings. There are plenty of GOOD dynamic translations which should be easy for anyone to understand. No one should resort to "The Message" for anything.

I am also a fan of Gary Gilley, and have sat under his teachings at several apologetics seminars, and I have read all his books.

Jesse Albrecht said...

Ken,

https://rationalchristiandiscernment.blogspot.com/2018/10/critical-exposure-of-message-version.html

Papa Goose said...

Ken- If you are looking for a 'punchier' English translation of the Bible, might I suggest the 'Translation for Translators'.
https://ebible.org/t4t/index.htm
The verse you referenced comes out as;
Is 3:4 He will appoint boys to be your leaders; your children will rule you.
The 'Massage' has no place in understanding what God has stated. Go back to the original languages as much as possible and learn from those 'who have studied to show themselves approved by God as workmen who need not be ashamed.'

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Papa Goose,

You have no information about the translators - are you the only one? It seems a bit odd to me.

Papa Goose said...

Glenn-
Sorry 'bout that. Their website has the background on who, how and what. To be found at:
https://ebible.org/t4t/TranslatorsTranslation.pdf

Hope it doesn't cause distress, I am always ready to admit if I am wrong according to the scriptures. I have used this translation as a side note only, prefer the ESV or NASB generally.

Goose

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Papa Goose,

I'm sorry, I thought that was your site. It's still a bit odd to me as to how it reads.

No distress at all, I was just curious. I did find the "About" page and thought it was interesting.

When I use a formal translation, like you I use ESV and NASB. My favorite "close-to-formal" is the HCSB.




Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Ken,

How about this passage in The Message"?
John 3:17: God didn't go to all the trouble of sending his Son merely to point an accusing finger, telling the world how bad it was. He came to help, to put the world right again.

The ESV seems to have a totally different idea of what Jesus was sent for:
For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.