We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Good, Bad, and Ugly


The month of May was probably the busiest month I’ve had in a very, very long time.  Only a very few days were spent at home the full day.  Doctor visits, dentist appointments, vet appointment, missionary staying with us for a week, band performances, graduation parties, solo gigs, Memorial Day ceremonies, car maintenance, etc!  At least I got a chance to the mow the law, but the weeds in the gardens have taken over!

In the meantime, I try to spend SOME time catching up on the news in the world of the Church, so I’m giving you the benefit of learning from some of the stuff I’ve come across.

The Good:

I’m often told I’m divisive with my apologetics, that I’m “mean” and “unChristlike” when I expose false teachings for what they are.  Well, Christ wasn’t too kind with His words for false teachers!


A good article about proper Christian judging of sin.

Don’t let the Jehovah’s Witnesses mislead you by taking Ignatius out of context.

Fred finished part 5 of his review of Hugh Ross’ book, Navigating Genesis.

A good refutation of the teaching of “soul sleep.”

A very interesting article about why the Sabbath Day was not part of creation.  I also pointed out this fact in my article about the Sabbath.



The Bad:
Another example of the horrendously bad teaching from Seth Barnes at Adventures in Missions:  “Jesus didn’t set the example of settling down and getting a job. So, I followed Jesus’ example and left home and friends. When asked for advice, I suggest others do the same – go on a kingdom journey and dive into a world of possibilities. Become a vagabond for Christ as you practice ministry and discover your identity.”  Really — just be a bum and don’t get a job?!?!   Talk about Scripture-twisting!

The downgrade of the evangelical church.  Very sad to see where we are headed.

How deep in the “rabbit hole” will the New Apostolic Reformation go?


The Ugly:
Charisma Magazine’s Jennifer LeClaire is as whacky un-Christian as it gets.  She even “teases out” new prophecies!!  This woman is not a woman of God.

Black Hebrew Israelites — a cult about which not too many have heard.  Racist group.

More proof that Mark Driscoll has no business being a Christian teacher, let alone a pastor.

Steven Furtick — Need I say more?

No comments: