We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Random Apostasies and Heresies

Too many Christians listen to Glenn Beck and consider him a brother in Christ.  Well, he isn’t.  He is a Mormon, but on top of that he is a new-ager.  As with most Mormons, he wants to sound like a real Christian and gets involved in things only non-discerning Christians get involved in.  His latest attention-getting claim [link gone by 12/21/16] is about a book he is reading - Mark Batterson’s “The Circle Maker.  Well, go figure.  That book is nothing but unbiblical nonsense and Beck wants to pretend to be a Christian by letting us all know he’s reading it.  Now, don’t get me wrong; Beck is a good conservative and normally has a conservative worldview, as well as a Constitutional understanding of the U.S. government.  Don’t confuse his half-way decent politics for Christianity.  He is still a lost soul.

The reviews of the last two chapters of Michael Brown’s Authentic Fire have been posted here and here.  Brown loses.

As if Rob Bell hasn’t demonstrated his heresy enough, now he’s joined false teacher Oprah Winfrey for a tour.

Ron Livesay has a good review of the “Son of God” movie.  Too bad this wasn’t available to include in my post about that movie.

Rachel Held Evans says she is leaving evangelicalism.  Funny, from my reading of all her teachings, I’d say she never was a part of evangelicalism, let alone a Christian.

Denny Burk has an interesting series going about false teachers.  He tells us how to identify them, and how to deal with them.

Another false teacher in Tim Challies’ series is Marcus Borg.

Speaking of Challies, he has some good things to say to those who focus on numbers of people in their church.

Larry Crabb is one of those so-called “Christian psychologists” who syncretizes the Bible with secular psychobabble, so he’s already been someone who's teachings Christians should avoid.  Now he’s joining forces with false teacher Richard Foster.

So much of the secular world - as well as way too many people who claim to follow Christ - paint Jesus as some nice, tolerant, “girly-man” who would never speak harshly or get angry, etc.  I read two articles this week which soundly refute such nonsense.  "Step over" to read what Stan has to say.

There is no end to the type of entertainment goatherds will use in their attempt to “evangelize.”  I wonder how we’ve been able to successfully evangelize over the centuries without all this nonsense?  Notice how the goatherd abuses Scripture as he sends a kid into a fight.

Cindy Jacobs is one of the those in the “worst false teachers” list.  If you believe her claim of having an unending pot of spaghetti or oil, and non-wearing tires and shoes, then I have a huge bridge to sell you.  But wait — she has some prophecies for 2014 which you’d better pay attention to; that is, if you want to copy them down from this video so as to prove she’s a false prophet.  She also has many unsubstantiated and anecdotal claims about previous prophecies!

When it comes to twisting Scriptures, those who promote homosexuality often hold the prize for making the Bible say what no one else has found in it.

Lastly, I spent the past week reading the book, “An Insider’s View of Mormon Origins,” by Grant H. Palmer.  Palmer is a die-hard Mormon, yet he proved that the Book of Mormon is fraudulent, as well as all the claims behind it.  He proved Joseph Smith was not a prophet, that the BOM witnesses never really saw it, that the first vision never happened, etc.  And yet he always gave these things a pass because of the culture of the time.  The saddest thing — and the perfect example of cult-think — is that it doesn’t matter because Joseph Smith taught that the main focus was Jesus Christ and how we are to follow him.  He ends the book with this: “As Latter-day Saints, our religious faith should be based and evaluated by how our spiritual and moral lives are centered in Jesus Christ, rather than in Joseph Smith’s largely rewritten, materialistic, idealized, and controversial accounts of the church’s founding.  I hope that this study contributes in some way to that end.”  What Palmer doesn’t seem to understand is that the false Jesus of Mormonism has little in common with the Jesus of the Bible, and a false savior can bring no salvation no matter how much you honor him.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Glenn,

I encountered believers a few years ago who thought Beck was a Christian. Their acceptance of him surprised me. When I told them he was a Mormon, and what that meant, they were shocked. Yes he is conservative, but he is unsaved.

RHE is "leaving evangelicalism"? 1 John 2:19

I hope to get to Ron Livesay and Denny Burk's articles later. They look good.

-Carolyn

Anonymous said...

I read Burk's 2 part series

Quote, "False teachers will try to convince the flock that sound doctrine causes division. But this is a lie."

Isn't that the truth!!!

Quote, "Pastors have a responsibility to oppose false teaching whenever it arises. ... To fail to do this is ministerial malpractice and harmful to God’s people. ... Paul has a word to those who are pastors and who aspire to be a pastor. If you cannot or will not 'refute those who contradict' then you should not be a pastor."

Well said.

"We must be careful not to imply through our associations affirmation of false teachers."

Another good point. And his conclusion was very good as well.

Personally, I would never consider a true believer who unintentionally teaches something false to be a "false teacher". I reserve that title for unbelievers, who I would also consider to be heretics and apostates.

Livesay's review of Son of God, I agree with his main point: the movie omits the important fact that Christ paid for OUR SINS. That's a serious omission. Though I disagree with Livesay's (qualified) belief that the movie can be used as an evangelistic tool. I do not believe error should ever be used for evangelism, and on top of the crucial omission of Christ dying "FOR OUR SINS", there were also far too many other errors in this movie.

All in all, a good roundup today, Glenn.

-Carolyn

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Hi Carolyn,

One of my biggest complaints is that pastors don’t want to expose false teachers from the pulpit for fear of stepping on toes. I thought Burk’s articles were excellent.

As for Ron Livesay, I think what he, and some other I’ve read, means by using the movie for evangelism, is that if someone has seen the movie you can talk to them about it while teaching a contrast between what the movie says and what real life was, and in that way lead in to the Gospel. I’ve actually had an opportunity of that nature with someone who was all gaga over “The Passion of Christ.” His telling me about it allowed the foot in the door to explain how it grossly misrepresented the Bible and I was able to tell him the true story.

Anonymous said...

Hi Glenn, Re: Burk, I agree!!!! One of my husband's and my biggest complaints is the exact same thing: preachers that will not expose false teachers or false teaching. We've addressed that with several pastors over the years, unfortunately to little avail.

Re: Livesay, if that is how you took his statement, I can accept that. If an unsaved person has "already" seen the movie, then you can evangelize them, showing them how that movie deviates from the truth, and yes definitely use the opportunity to teach the true gospel.

A few weeks ago, I had such a discussion together with another believing lady, that happened to be in the presence of several unbelievers. We were comparing the movie's falsehoods to the Bible's truth. Sadly, all the unbelievers rolled their eyes, and clearly didn't care.

However, what my husband and I have seen and object to, is pastors wanting to USE THE MOVIE as a legitimate outreach, to intentionally bring unbelievers to see it, and to call that evangelism. With that approach, my husband and I strongly disagree.

-Carolyn

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

I would rebuke ANYONE who sends/recommends any of these movies to anyone!

Anonymous said...

Well, then Glenn, you can happily join us in the ranks of being labeled a "pharisee" by our now former pastor. He promoted the Son of God movie as an evangelistic outreach (just like RW did), and called the movie's detractors "pharisees".

Sigh. The times we live in....................

-Carolyn

Joe said...

When Beck starts "preaching" and moralizing on his radio show, I tune out. He is as lost as a snake.

Ron Livesay said...

Glenn: Thanks for linking to my "Son of God" review. It has increased traffic to my blog greatly. You interpreted my intent correctly relative to the movie's use for evangelism. I would not take an unbeliever to see it, hoping the message of the
Gospel would somehow come shining through. It couldn't, because the message of the Gospel is simply not there. I do, however, believe that the movie could result in a discussion that could lead to a clear presentation of the Gospel.

Anonymous said...

Hi Glenn,

This is for Ron: sorry I misinterpreted what you said, originally. I agree with you, thank you and Glenn for the clarification.

Believe it or not, as I said, my former pastor actually wanted to use the movie as an evangelistic tool, by intentionally showing it to unbelievers, thinking the movie was really the Gospel! My husband and I were horrified!

-Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Bethel "Church", Redding, California is DEMONIC. End of discussion. Jesus is NOT there.

Canadian Guy

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Couldn't agree with you more, Canadian Guy!