We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Friday, March 21, 2014

Random Apostasies and Heresies

Wow, short time from last RA&H post, but I just got so many things to alert my readers to that I just had to write it up NOW!  (And that is a sad commentary on the state of the church.)

Another good review of the Son of God movie.

Perhaps you have read some of my “Did They Really Say That?!?” articles citing the Seventh-day Adventist false prophet Ellen G. White.  Perhaps you’ve also read my article about the false teachings of the SDA.  Tim Challies has an excellent article exposing E.G. White as a false teacher.

Hip and Thigh has a good commentary on the nonsense going on at another goat-pen.

Or the "WOW worship."

I wonder why Paul never had to resort to such worldly ways to spread the REAL gospel!

Even worse - or maybe they’re even in their own ways - is the Word of Faith heresy and how it is spreading within the mainstream church.

Mormonism Research Ministry’s blog Mormon Coffee always has some interesting tidbits about the Mormon Church’s false teachings.  This article explains their convoluted teaching about God the Father.

Voice of the Martyrs has been a good organization for speaking on behalf of the many persecuted Christians around the world.  Well, things seem to be a wee bit “rotten in Denmark” with VOM recently.

Mark Driscoll; I’ve been telling you over and over how he is unworthy to be in a pastoral position.  In my last RA&H report I exposed his unethical actions to get his book on the best sellers list.  
Well, now it seems Driscoll is coming out with apologies and repentance, and claims that he will be turning his life around.  The Cripplegate has an article questioning how our response should be to all this.  My thinking is pretty much summed up in the article posted by Sola Sisters.  Driscoll should definitely step down from any and all leadership positions.

I came across an article this week on a blog I’m not familiar with, and penned by an author I can’t recommend to those not solid in the faith (because he is a preterist,  buddies up with Rome, appears to be egalitarian, is a replacement theologian, promotes a Sunday “Sabbath” and tithing).  BUT, the article is a solid examination of Joel Osteen and what his teaching is doing to Christianity.

The review of Chapter 7 of Michael Brown’s book, Authentic Fire, is posted.

Oh boy, Steven Furtick will have the ability to reach even more people with his false teachings.

9 comments:

Neil said...

Sad but true: I went to church growing up with the pastor of that Disciples of Christ drive-in church. The guy is apparently so egalitarian in his marriage views that he took his wife's name (I assume he married a female, but you never know). The drive-in's former pastor was the Assoc. Pastor when I grew up. I was a pagan at the time but even then felt something was wrong with those people.

The Disciples of Christ denomination is a tragic story. My parents grew up in the church and are now in their eighties. They used to hold accurate biblical views but now spout the same nonsense as their denomination: Jesus isn't the only way to salvation ("Why witness to Muslims?"), anti-biblical authority ("the Bible was just written by men"), pro-legalized abortion, pro-gay ("Jesus never said anything about homosexuality"), etc. The Holy Spirit appears to have left their buildings long ago and left them with their man-made religion.

That this particular church is a gimmicky drive-in shows how it is extreme even for the DoC.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Neil,

WOW! I never thought anyone reading my blog would have a connection to that one! :oD

Disciples of Christ were just another Campbellite branch.

Jon Gleason said...

Hi, Glenn. Did you just say "WOW" in a comment? :)

I am honoured that you found my article worth sharing, I pray your readers will benefit by it.

I wanted to say I appreciated your heads-up on Hanegraff. Timothy Dalrymple, who runs that blog, is often (but not always) very straight-thinking, but his standards of who else should be called "Christian" and accepted as such are often lacking. Somebody recommended him to me and I read regularly for a while, but rarely anymore. Seems typical of modern soft-evangelicalism -- really sound on a lot of things, and then all squishy on some others, including some important things.

If I had more time, I'd still read him, I suppose. He's often thought-provoking.

Perhaps more info than you wanted. :)

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Jon,

The sad thing about Hanegraaff is that he does have some good apologetics, has done an excellent exposure of the Word of Faith charismaniac crowds, etc. But it seems to me that over the years I have listened to him and read his material, that he is going farther and farther astray.

Neil said...

A lot of popular teachers seem to let their egos and desire for fame and money skew their actions.

I gave Hanegraaff up for good after he blamed the Post Office for supposedly losing a bunch of donations then begged for people to send more.

He has done great work and continues to expose some false teachers, but as with so many leaders, he eventually disappoints. One more reason to use discernment to focus on the teachings and not follow or worship a man.

James MacDonald is another huge disappointment.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Oh yeah, that claim of lost mail was a big reason I stopped subscribing to their journal.

Anonymous said...

Hi Glenn,

The floodgates of apostasy are wide open now, are they not???

The good critical SoG movie review - well put.

TeamPyro - nailed it.

(By the way, these two above-mentioned articles have been sweet vindication from the Lord for my husband and I......... I thank the Lord that you posted those articles.)

VoM - I knew about their ecumenical leanings, and remember when the suicide hit the news, but if my memory serves me, it was quickly hushed. That troubled me. God always brings the hidden things to light, though.

Driscoll - well said Sola Sisters; and glad to see some men stepping up and calling a spade a spade.

Thank you for warning the saints of aberrant teachings - including in some of the blogs you reference, instead of just referencing them carte blanche. Ex: David Cloud - thank you for boldly proclaiming he is a legalistic KJVO. Cloud does have a few helpful resources, but the man is unbelievably legalistic.

Hagee - his dual covenant view is utterly unbiblical.

-Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Glenn, did you see the headline about World Vision? Erin has a post on it at Do Not Be Surprised, and Al Mohler addressed it on his blog as well. It seems you can barely finish one RA&H before you have to start another!

That said, given WVs other problems, I'm not shocked. There sure is a "hole" in their "gospel"...

Wow, Lord come quickly!

-Carolyn

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Carolyn,

Yes, and I have been collecting links for a report. I've also been collecting links for "Noah" reviews.

It's an upside down world.