We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

"Christian" Mysticism


I’ve read quite a bit over the past couple of years about how mysticism is invading the Church.  Of course I know that the farther from orthodoxy an individual denomination or assembly is, the more likely such mysticism will invade its teachings.

This past Saturday I got a pretty good look as to what degree an individual assembly has drifted.  I do have to note that the assembly is already astray because it is a member of the Episcopal Church denomination, which has gone apostate with its liberal teachings a long, long time ago.

I was in this particular “church” building because I was there to play for a memorial service.  I asked for a place to put my pipes together and tune up (as usual) and was provided their small library.

While performing the tuning I happened to look around at the shelves and was astounded to see that almost half of the book shelves were about mysticism (and another shelf for “gay and lesbian” studies).

As I played the pipes to warm them up, I tried to remember what I saw, and was actually able to write down a bit after tuning, just before I went to my position in the “sanctuary.”
Three shelves directly in front of me were labeled “Christian Mysticism.”  A thick book by Meister Eckhart drew my immediate attention, but titles on the shelves included “Practical Mysticism,” “The Mystic Way,” “Wisdom of the Mystic Masters,” “Dark Night of the Soul,” and “Mystics and Zen Masters.”

Two tall book cases had labels for each shelf - and each shelf had plenty in that subject, with some subjects taking more than one shelf!
The labels were:  “Eastern Religion,” “Chinese Religion,” “Zen Buddhism,” “Buddhism,” “Yoga,” “Bhagavd gita,” “Upanishads,” “Vedanta Krishna,” “Hinduism,” “Sufism,” “Tibetan Religion,” “Christian Science,” “Native American Spirituality,” and others that, in my haste, I didn’t get a chance to write down.

There is nothing in any of these books which have anything to do with the Christian faith.  If your church has a library like this, it’s a good indication how far astray your leadership have strayed.  Run - don’t walk - to a good Bible-teaching church.

2 comments:

ali said...

We have just relocated to another town within our state. Will begin our search for a bible based church in which to join ourselves and serve. Knowing it will be hard and growing ever harder, we are in prayer for the leading of the Holy Spirit to direct, guide and provide. Thanks Glenn for this valuable information.

Anonymous said...

Wow, they're not even pretending to teach the truth with book titles like those. YIKES.

Good thought though - for all of us to examine our local assembly's library...

Ali, may the Lord lead you to a solid fellowship, as you said, it is growing ever harder by the day to find a good Bible teaching church.

-Carolyn