We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Contemporary “Worship” Songs


Too many songs pass into worship services which should have been looked at with discernment first.  I have previously examined some of these songs, but because the assembly where I worship chose to include some of these songs today, I think the need is there for an alert.

The songs which were part of our service today were:
Only You Satisfy, by Jami Smith
Close to Thee, by Fanny Crosby
Our Great God, by Fernando Ortega
Revelation Song, by Kari Jobe
All Who Are Thirsty, by Kutless

Let’s look at the lyrics of the first one, which get repeated over and over ad nauseam:

Living water, bread of life
Satisfy us, satisfy us
Living water, bread of life
Satisfy us, satisfy us
(repeat)

Jesus, open up my heart
Jesus, open up my mind
Jesus, open up my life, Jesus
Because only you satisfy

You are the Christ
You are the blood
You are the Holy Spirit living in us
You are the truth
You are the life
You are the bread
Only you satisfy


Aside from the annoying repetition while singing this, do you notice theological problems?  

Is Christ the blood?  Um, no.  He is not the fluid that ran in His veins, nor is He the fluid that runs in our veins. Even in communion we say the wine (or grape juice) represents His blood.

Okay, even worse is the stanza saying that Jesus is “the Holy Spirit living in us.”  Um, no He isn’t.  The Holy Spirit is a separate person, who does indeed indwell us.  If you say Jesus IS the Holy Spirit, then you have the heresy of modalism.


Okay, let’s look at the second song, Close to Thee

Thou my everlasting portion,
More than friend or life to me,
All along my pilgrim journey,
Savior, let me walk with Thee.


Refrain 1:
Close to Thee, close to Thee,
Close to Thee, close to Thee;
All along my pilgrim journey,
Savior, let me walk with Thee.


Not for ease or worldly pleasure,
Nor for fame my prayer shall be;
Gladly will I toil and suffer,
Only let me walk with Thee.


Refrain 2:
Close to Thee, close to Thee,
Close to Thee, close to Thee,
Gladly will I toil and suffer,
Only let me walk with Thee.


Lead me through the vale of shadows,
Bear me o’er life’s fitful sea;
Then the gate of life eternal
May I enter, Lord, with Thee.


Refrain 3:
Close to Thee, close to Thee,
Close to Thee, close to Thee,
Then the gate of life eternal
May I enter, Lord, with Thee.


This is an excellent song, and I have yet to find one by Fanny Crosby which has questionable theology.  But, these songs are considered boring to the new generation, so we seem to drop them from our service very often nowadays so as to sing tripe like Only You Satisfy.

Next up is another contemporary song, Our Great God

Eternal God, unchanging
Mysterious and unknown
Your boundless love unfailing
In grace and mercy shown
Bright seraphim in ceaseless flight
Around your glorious throne
Their voices raised both day and night
In praise to you alone

Hallelujah!
Glory be to our great God
Hallelujah!
Glory be to our great God!

Lord, we are weak and frail,
Helpless in the storm
Surround us with your angels
Hold us in your arms
Our cold and ruthless enemy
His pleasure is our harm 

Rise up, oh Lord, and he will flee
Before our Sovereign God

Hallelujah!
Glory be to our great God!
Hallelujah!
Glory be to our great God!

Let every creature in the sea
And every flying bird
Let all the mountains, all the fields
And valleys of the earth
Let all the moons and all the stars
Throughout the universe
Sing praises to the Living God
Who rules them by His word

Hallelujah!
Glory be to our great God
Hallelujah!
Glory be to our great God!

See, this is a contemporary song by an author who gets it - he understands that what we sing must be consistent with God’s Word.  Keith Getty and Stuart Townend have developed some outstanding hymns and praise songs (some of which I’ve posted) because they also “get it.”

Okay, moving on now to Revelation Song, which also has a lot of repetition while singing it:

Worthy is the, Lamb who was slain
Holy, Holy, is He
Sing a new song, to him who sits on
Heaven's mercy seat
[2X]

Holy, Holy, Holy
Is the Lord God Almighty
Who was, and is, and is to come
With all creation I sing
Praise to the King of Kings
You are my everything
And I will adore You

Clothed in rainbows, of living color
Flashes of lightning, rolls of thunder
Blessing and honor, strength and glory and power be
to You the only wise King

Holy, Holy, Holy
Is the Lord God Almighty
Who was, and is, and is to come
With all creation I sing
Praise to the King of Kings
You are my everything
And I will adore You

Filled with wonder, awestruck wonder
At the mention of your name
Jesus your name is power
Breath, and living water
Such a marvelous mystery
Yeah...

Holy, Holy, Holy
Is the Lord God Almighty
Who was, and is, and is to come, yeah
With all creation I sing
Praise to the King of Kings
You are my everything
And I will adore You
[3X]


Is God really “clothed in rainbows, of living color?  Where do we find that in Scripture?!?  I’m not even sure I understand the context of “Flashes of lightning, rolls of thunder” - should there not be some sort of explanation as to what that means?  Then there is “Filled with wonder, awestruck wonder” - who is?  What is?  This is one of the problems with so many of these new songs - they lack a cohesive grammatical structure so that one is left to wonder what they are talking about!  Oh, and since the church assembled is not performing, do we really need to have “yeah” as part of the lyrics?!?

The last one from our list above is All Who Are Thirsty.   The fact that this is from the Vineyard should alert anyone to possible problems, and singing such songs only gives tacit approval of Vineyard to the congregation.  (And if you aren’t familiar with the Vineyard movement, just e-mail me and I’ll fill you in).

All who are thirsty
All who are weak
Come to the fountain
Dip your heart in the stream of life
Let the pain and the sorrow
Be washed away
In the waves of his mercy
As deep cries out to deep (we sing)

Come Lord Jesus come
[repeat 3 times]

Holy Spirit come
[repeat 3 times]

As deep cries out to deep
[repeat 2 times]

This is another one of those songs with lots of repetition so as to work up emotions and get the congregation swinging to and fro before they start speaking in “tongues” or other such emotional nonsense.

So, just how does one “dip” their “heart in the stream of life”?  What is the “stream of life?  Is this supposed to be Jesus?  And just what does it mean for “deep” to cry out to “deep”?  Why are we asking for the Holy Spirit to “come” when He dwells inside each believer? I can answer that one - all one has to do is look at the false revivals as they yell for the Holy Spirit to come and bring more “fire.”  

Let’s use some discernment in the songs we select for corporate worship!  Ensure the theology is correct first and foremost.  And make sure they are understandable.

14 comments:

Steve Bricker said...

I have heard recently on KNWS a recorded clip of someone saying that the songs on the station were just like singing scripture. That is true on rare occasion, but overwhelmingly, this is not the case. The same lack of discernment is too often found in assemblies by those who lead the music. They do not understand the error or willingly overlook it, because the song is "moving" and in good character for what is being designed for the service. And I could go on and on about scripture quotes strung together out of context to form error. Just a week ago we had a song misusing Isaiah 40:31.

Doug Evans said...

At least these songs bother to mention God, I've heard so many songs played in church that can't be bothered to mention Him -

DANCE WITH ME

Jesus Culture

VERSE 1:
Behold You have come over the hills upon the mountain
To me, You will run. My Beloved, You've captured my heart
(repeat)

CHORUS 1:
Won't You dance with me, Oh
Lover of my soul,
to the song of all songs?

VERSE 2:
With You, I will go You are my Love You are my Fair One
The winter has passed and the springtime has come
(repeat)

CHORUS 2:
Won't You dance with me, Oh
Lover of my soul,
to the song of all songs?
Romance me, Oh
Lover of my soul
to the song of all songs.

My other complaint about these bands making megabucks off of 'christian' music - they're not very good. Take a few voice lessons guys.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Doug,

ICK! That "Dance With Me" is one of those "Jesus is my boyfriend songs." Not only does in not mention God, It doesn't mention Jesus either. It might just be a song about Krishna!

Anonymous said...

Hi Glenn,

You are very correct in your assertion that we need to more carefully examine our worship music!

A couple quick thoughts -

I agree, "Only You Satisfy" and "All Who Are Thirsty" - for both, lyrics are much lacking and replete with error. If songs like this are played during worship at my church, I usually do not sing. Neither does my husband.

"Close to Thee" and "Our Great God" - both quite good, and thank you for giving an example of contemporary worship music done correctly! These two songs together are a fine example of well done, Christ exalting blended worship.

"Revelation Song" - I think the flashes of lightning/rolls of thunder is supposed to be from Revelation 4:5. I think the song is drawing from that chapter in general, though I agree with you about the "clothed in rainbows" part - Rev 4 says that there is a rainbow encircling the throne, like an emerald in appearance, not that God is clothed in a rainbow. I also could do without the "yeah's".

"How Great is Our God" - another good one. As for the statement "He wraps Himself in light" - see Psalm 104:2 in NIV. The NAS and KJV also say the same thing, but worded slightly differently in each version.

And capital UGH when it comes to that J Culture song that Mr. Evans posted.

I don't remember the artist or song name, but a few months ago, they showed a video and contemporary song at our church where the lyrics contained the word "gotta". Seriously. Gotta. Both my husband and I groaned. Are we that far into the ditch that we can't even use proper language in a song?

-carolyn

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Hi Carolyn,

I fully understand that the lyrics to the "Revelation Song" take their idea from the book of Revelation, but my problem is how they change the meaning.

As you pointed out, the "clothed in rainbows" is a completely different context than that of the original.

Okay, I'll concede on the "wraps himself in light" - I guess I've never read that in the NIV version. The appropriate correction has been made.

Oh yes, the "gotta" song. I know which one you mean but I also can't think of the title. Bad grammar in songs is one of my pet peeves.

Lois said...

My pet peeve! (Contemporary Christian music, that is.) I am glad you clarified your introduction--I was afraid you were going to dump Fanny Crosby in the heap of scorn-inducing music.

To add to the yeahs, gottas, and oooos that modern tripe writers insert whenever they need space-filling lyrics, don't forget the convoluted rhythmic lines with syncopation that is impossible for anyone to sing. A hymn with stanzas are concise and even and predictable. There are no unexpected rests.

I've heard this stuff described as 7-11 music: Seven words repeated eleven times!

Thanks for this post.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Hi Lois,

Some of these songs have more than seven words, so when they get wordy with repetition, they become 24/7 - 24 words repeated seven times.

A lot of these contemporary songs might be okay for personal listening but not for corporate worship, like the type you refer to with the syncopation. I call those "radio songs."

Anonymous said...

Glenn, Lois:

You actually hit a nail on the head - most contemporary songs are not meant for corporate worship. My music teacher has told me that CCM songs are not written and metered for congregational singing. You're right Glenn, they are truly only suitable for personal enjoyment.

Hymns, on the other hand, were written in such a way that they are meant to be sung by "average" people. Most people can sing an octave and manage a predictable meter with no music training. Plus, having sheet music in front of you (aka a hymnal) helps even if you can't read music... you can at least see where the notes go "up" and "down", and follow along. The sheet music also allows the congregation to break into 4 part, which really brings a beauty to the songs. :)

You both made me roar in laughter with the "7-11" and "24/7" nicknames for CCM. One song we heard at a church we visited actually did have a "7-11" song. The 7 words were: "I will follow You. No turning back." That was repeated ad nauseam until our IQs dropped to the point we were concerned we weren't breathing anymore.

-Carolyn (same as "carolyn" above, just not lazy about the capital C like I usually am)

Jeff said...

Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty is pretty repetitive but is sung around the throne. ;)




Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Repetitive isn't the problem. The problem is the reason for it.

Anonymous said...

On the first song where you comment on the lyric "You are the Holy Spirit" about Jesus, realizing that, yes, the Holy Spirit is a separate person of the Trinity, yet Romans 8:9-11 speaks of the Spirit of God dwelling in us, and in the next verse, Christ in us, and in v. 11, the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwelling in us. So, Christ is spoken of as in us, and also the Holy Spirit is in us.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Anonymous,

The song says that Christ IS the Holy Spirit. This is NOT what the Bible says. Christ and the Holy Spirit are both God, as is the Father, but no person of the Trinity IS the other person.

Unknown said...

Great article!

One of my personal pet peeve songs is: Chris Tomlin - In The Secret

The tune is good but the lyrics do not mention Jesus or even God. "You" could refer to a false god, Satan or the person sitting next to me. Are we ashamed of the name of Jesus??

Paul

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Paul,

I've never heard of that one, so I just Googled the lyrics --- It's AWFUL!!!!

How does anyone know who it is he refers to?? It's just vacuous nonsense.