We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Monday, May 13, 2013

Running to His Arms?!?


I’ve mentioned on several posts that many of today’s “worship and praise songs” are of the “Jesus is my boyfriend” type, which often sexualizes Christ.  In fact, at the International House of Prayer they teach what is known as the “bridal paradigm,” where not just the Church is Christ’s bride, but also the individual Christian!

Recently my wife and I attended a Christian wedding where one of these “Jesus is my boyfriend” songs was sung by the congregation (well, not all of us).  What is sad about this is that it was really out of place at the wedding.  While some of the lyrics could be said to have some good theology (however tritely and childishly put together), whatever theology is there is overshadowed by the “boyfriend” theology.

Take a look at the lyrics of “Forever Reign” from the wedding program for the service:

You are good, You are good,
When there’s nothing good in me.
You are love, You are love, 
On display for all to see.
You are light, You are light, 
When darkness closes in.
You are hope, You are hope, 
You have covered all my sin.

You are peace, You are peace, 
When my fear is crippling.
Your are true, You are true, 
Even in my wandering.
You are joy, You are joy, 
You’re the reason that I sing.
You are life, You are life, 
In You death has lost its sting.

Chorus
Oh I’m running to Your arms, 
I’m running to your arms.
The riches of Your love
Will always be enough.
Nothing compares to Your embrace,
Light of the world forever reign.

You are more,
You are more, 
Than my words will ever say.
You are Lord, You are Lord,
All creation will proclaim.
You are here, You are here,
In Your presence I’m made whole.
You are God, You are God, Of all else I’m letting go.

[Chorus]

My heart will sing,
No other Name,
Jesus, Jesus.


Pretty sappy, in my opinion.  But the idea of running to Jesus’ arms, with nothing comparing to His embrace is the perfect example of how songs make Jesus in to a boyfriend instead of Lord and Savior.  This is nothing but “feel-good” theology, which should be pushed out of the Church - and prevented from coming in.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, I'm not terribly fond of this song, either, which has been played at my church. My husband and I sing what sounds reasonably appropriate (theologically and duly reverent), and stop singing when songs sound foolish.

-carolyn

Jon Gleason said...

Hi, Glenn. What do you think of this by comparison?

Come, ye sinners, poor and needy,
Weak and wounded, sick and sore;
Jesus ready stands to save you,
Full of pity, love and power.

Chorus:
I will arise and go to Jesus,
He will embrace me in His arms;
In the arms of my dear Saviour,
O there are ten thousand charms.

Come, ye thirsty, come, and welcome,
God’s free bounty glorify;
True belief and true repentance,
Every grace that brings you nigh.

Come, ye weary, heavy laden,
Lost and ruined by the fall;
If you tarry till you’re better,
You will never come at all.

View Him prostrate in the garden;
On the ground your Maker lies.
On the bloody tree behold Him;
Sinner, will this not suffice?

Let not conscience make you linger,
Nor of fitness fondly dream;
All the fitness He requireth
Is to know your need of Him.

Joseph Hart, 1712-1768

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Jon,

Well, the chorus gives me an immediate pause, but then I realize the connotation is not the "boyfriend" Jesus as current culture seems to think; that would never have occurred to them in the 18th century.

It's not so much that songs speak of Jesus' embrace, because normally one would think of the embrace of a brother or father - which is what I get with this one. It's the current context modern "radio songs" have with the "bridal paradigm" where Jesus isn't a father or brother, rather he is a lover.

Drew said...

You could imagine the arms being simply the comforting arms of a father or friend. And I don't think the song you listed is particularly sexual. But the point is, the Bible does not say anything whatsoever about Jesus's embrace. So it is a stupid song regardless of whether it is sexual.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

I didn't say it was sexual - I said it is of the "Jesus is my boyfriend" genre. Romantic doesn't necessarily equal sexual.

Jeff Spencer said...

I like the song.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Liking a song is not the measure of whether it is proper theology. That's the problem with so many of today's "radio songs" is that people get emotional about them and don't use discernment as to whether the lyrics are supported by Scripture.

Jeff Spencer said...

I think this particular song is just about taste rather than theology. Sure the lyrics aren't very deep and it can come off as cheesy. I've always viewed "I'm running to your arms" as a fatherly kind of love, not romantic.

There are songs out today that I do have an issue with but this one is not one of them.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

The fact that it was a song for a wedding is what highlighted the romantic idea for me.