We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Monday, January 2, 2012

The Robe

This week my wife and I took three nights to watch an old VHS movie of The Robe.  I hadn’t seen this movie in many, many years, and it was almost like seeing it for the first time!
The Robe used to be a television staple during Easter time, but I don’t know if this is still the case because I haven’t watched regular TV in many, many years.  I do know that the movie has been well-loved by Christians.  And that is the reason for this commentary.
I was very disappointed in this movie because it was nothing more than preaching the social gospel and the brotherhood of man, with lots of talk about how just a look from Jesus changed their lives.  Yet, how could they learn the gospel with just a look?
There was never any mention of why Christ was crucified, but there was much discussion by the characters about how horrible it was for Rome to have killed Christ.  In reality we have from the New Testament letters that it wasn’t a travesty at all - if Christ hadn’t been put to death we would not have the punishment for our sins paid!
If it wasn’t for the very poor theology, I could have liked this movie.  As it was, I was very irritated the whole time whenever some sappy social gospel idea was preached.  I could never watch this movie again, nor would I ever, ever recommend it to anyone; not to Christians because I don’t like recommending false teachings, and not to unbelievers because I wouldn’t want them to get the wrong idea about why Christ died.

2 comments:

ali said...

Like you, I have not seen this movie in years - it is interesting how our views change as we draw closer to the LORD.

I remember little about the movie, thanks for alerting us its errors.

We must be as the Bereans and check all things out with scripture to see if they be true - and sadly too often they are not.

Anonymous said...

Last time I watched this movie was before 1987. The Lord graciously saved me that year. I was a non-practicing Catholic pre-1987 so the do-good works message struck a note with me I'm sure. Now I'm a practicing, Bible-believing, Born-again child of our Most High God to His Glory!