Saturday, January 7, 2012
Love, Evil, & Free Will
A very interesting article with my subject title was in the November-December issue of Worldviews, the newsletter of the Apologetics Resource Center, written by Jim Edwards. It was a good article in defense of the skeptics’ claim against a loving God allowing evil in the world. I think the summary would give you enough information to respond to anyone questioning this subject.
1. Being made in God’s image means we have real free will, real choices, and the deep desires to love and be loved and honor and be honored.
2. The alternative of evil (nonconformance with God’s will) is necessary for us to have free will with real choices.
3. Love and honor would have no meaning without free will.
4. The benefits of loving and being loved far out weighs the reality that we are allowed to choose evil and this arrangement is consistent with a God that is good and love us enough to make us in His image.
5. The consequence of mankind’s choices is that evil was brought into our world and is sustained here. All of mankind’s evil is a result of mankind’s real choices.
6. Although we come into this world as a slave to evil due to our earthly father Adam’s choice, God provides us each a real choice to deny evil and do good through faith in Jesus Christ.
Summary of summary: In order to have real free will, evil must exist as a real alternative, but real free will also allows us to love and be loved by God and others, if we choose to follow Jesus Christ instead of Adam.