We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Should We Sing That Song?


Rather than waiting for a collection of links for posting, I thought this would be perfect as a separate post!

An article I read this week succinctly demonstrates how to discern whether or not a song should be used for corporate worship in the assembly.  Titled, Should We Sing That Song,” the article can be reduced to these checks:

The Content Check
The Sing-ability Check
The Audience Check
The Association and History Check

Since I haven’t asked permission to post the article, I’ll leave these “checks” to whet your appetite to go read it!  (It’s essentially the same things I’ve been saying for years!)

2 comments:

Dave Miller said...

Glenn...

I agree that there are some contemporary songs that are horrendous. The article puts some good parameters out there for people to consider.

Can you cite a couple of contemporary songs you feel hit the mark, as well as a couple of older hymns that miss the mark?

So often all I hear in the "worship wars" are exclusive arguments. Not that one person or the other would rule out music from the other, rather, they seldom to seem to offer critique of their preferred music, or see anything good in other styles. And this is evident from both sides.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Hi Dave,

Well, I've noted many times that there are some really solid contemporary hymns/songs; here are some I've reviewed:

Ancient Words, by Michael W. Smith
When Trials Come, by Keith and Kristyn Getty
Speak, O Lord, by Stuart Townend and Keith Getty
The Mission, by Steve Green (albeit the tune is difficult for congregational singing)
Across the Lands, by Getty and Townend
How Deep the Father's Love For Us, by Townend
In Christ Alone, by Townend and Getty
O Church Arise, by Townend and Getty
The Power of the Cross, by Townend and Getty
Behold the Lamb, by Townend and Getty
Our Great God

Some old ones I've demonstrated as being poor include
In the Garden (the original "Jesus is my boyfriend" song"
We are one in the Spirit (And they'll know we are Christian by our love")
Bind us together Lord