We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Wandering Stars

I found this book a year ago at the St. Louis Conference on Biblical Discernment and just now had a chance to read it (my “to read” shelves are soooooo backed up!).  It is an excellent analysis of the New Apostolic Reformation movement, as well as of associated persons, and those with similar ideology, such as the International Coalition of Apostles and the Elijah List.

Keith Gibson is an excellent apologist, and I have had the pleasure of attending some of his classes over the years, as well as reading some of his other material.  He writes in a way which keeps your attention - you never get bored!

In this book he also exposes some of the false teachings associated with the International House of Prayer and the false apostles and prophets there.  That institution is a virtual warehouse of aberrational teachings.

Here are some of the names of these false apostles and prophets you will learn about in this book:

Mike Bickle
C.Peter Wagner
Bill Hamon
Rick Joyner
Jack Deere
Ryan Wyatt
Chuck Pierce
Sam Storms
Dick Eastman
Michael Sullivant
Victoria Boyson
Francis Frangipane
Dutch Sheets
Kirk Bennett
Allen Hood
Shawn Bolz
Paul Keith Davis
Tommy Tenney
Scott Hicks
Wendy Alec
Kim Clement
Choo Thomas
Mary K. Baxter
Bill Weiss
Bob Jones
Tom Panich 
Cal Pierce
Denny Steyne
Bill Yount
Todd Bentley
George Otis, Jr.
Paul Cain
Bobby Connor
Lou Engle
Michael Tyrell
Steve Thompson
Johnny Enlow


The book exposes Latter Rain, Manifest Sons of God, “five-fold ministry,” Dominion/Kingdom Now Theology, Strategic Level Spiritual Warfare, and other similar aberrant and false theologies, as well as the past teachers behind all these movements.

If these names or doctrines show up in any of the books you study or at the place where you worship, you need to read this book so as to arm yourself.  These people and their teachings are spiritually dangerous.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently finished The Other Side of the River by Reeves and that was a very informative read. Do you think this book will add to that? If so I will order it because I have family members in this. Thanks
~Labby

ali said...

The church today is steeped in the mire and much of paganism all in the name of tolerance and love.

I posted much the same last night. We must be a wise as serpents and harmless as doves - for the enemy indeed is prowling about and devouring many.

Thanks for the list of names to watch for. It helps to know and identify those who speak lies and not truth.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Labby,
I also have "The Other Side of the River," and read it a couple years ago when I bought it. It just touches the tip of the iceberg. You really want "Wandering Stars" more a more thorough exposure.

Anonymous said...

Thank you I will order it now Glenn.
~Labby

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good reference, especially for our beloved pentecostal brothers and sisters, in whose camp many of these heretics try to hide.

I personally am familiar with the names Deere, Cain, Bentley and Sheets. None of which are sound. Sheets - one of his books was given to my by a misguided sister in the Lord, but praise God I spotted the heresy immediately. Sheets misused the Apostle Paul's comment that the Corinthians were acting like "mere men" (1 Cor 3) to mean that Christians need to realize that they really aren't just men, but that they are actually little gods. WOW, NO. That book was a slam dunk... into my trash can, after, of course, I emblazoned it with the word "heresy".

Great post, Glenn.

-carolyn

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's just me but one name on the list doesn't seem to belong...Orrel Steinkamp. How does he fit into the false prophet/apostle category?

Blessings,
Sue

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Sue,
Thanks for that catch. I had made two lists - one with those speaking out against the teachings and one with those promoting and practicing the teachings. Apparently I added his name to the wrong side!

I did a quick check and I don't think I did that with any others.

Eric said...

Sam Storms?
Is this the Sam Storms of Enjoying God Ministries?
Or is there another Sam Storms?

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Eric,
I do not know. Keith Gibson just identifies Sam Storm as a "charismatic author," and cites some of his teachings.

Mary said...

Glen, thank you for your ministry. I am still struggling over the post about "what do bunnies, chicks and eggs have to do it?" As a born again Christian who grew up Catholic, I still sometimes struggle with what is Biblical and what isn't. I still mix some of the culture's celebration of the holiday with the Christian holy day. I truly struggle with this. Thank you again for your teaching, I am learning so much.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Hi Mary,

Welcome to my blog.

There is so much apostasy and deception out there nowadays that it is really difficult to navigate the dangers. That is the reason for apologetics blogs such as mine, so as to help people with the navigating.

May you be blessed in your search for the truth!

Anonymous said...

You need to also add: Jim Cymbala, Brennan Manning, and The Dream Center leadership.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

I didn't know Cymbala and Manning were with the IHOP bunch (they have enough of their own problems as it is.)