We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Random Apostasies and Heresies


Arch-heretic Rob Bell will now be reaching out to teens with his false teachings.  The devil certainly is after our children.

Watchman Nee seems to be a favorite for a lot of Christians, and so-called Christian books stores sell a lot of his books.  I have previously written an article about the Local Church which came from Nee’s teachings, and that there is much spiritual danger with that organization.  An excellent article about Nee was published over at The Cripplegate this past week.  The final paragraph is spot-on:  “Although Nee has produced some material that could build up and instruct the body of Christ, others have written more clearly, more accurately and–consequently–more biblically. There are safer places to find cheese than in a mousetrap. This is why I warn people to beware the writings of Watchman.”  Every Christian should be required to read this article!

I have previously pointed out dangers with Tim Keller due to his “progressive creation” cosmology (theistic evolution with ID mashed in), his teaching of Romanist and Quaker mysticism, his teaching of contemplative prayer, and his affinity for the social gospel.  His church is now giving instructions on how to practice Lectio Divina.

Ken Silva has a good article about the problems with so many evangelical mega-pastors hobnobbing with Word of Faith heretics.  I just don’t understand their purpose for doing so except to get more publicity.  These men (Steven Furtick, Mark Driscoll, James MacDonald, e.g.) certainly don’t appear to be concerned with keeping the doctrine of the faith pure!

Pat Robertson again proves what a false teacher he has always been, with all his aberrational and spiritually dangerous teachings.  Now he claims that the sweater you bought at Goodwill might be carrying demons!  This man has disgraced the name of Christ way too many times in his career. (I previously addressed the issue of demon-possessed objects.)

Can anyone explain to me why any Christian assembly would be using a “gay” worship band?

14 comments:

Diane Schultz said...

Hey Glenn, great article, but the Bible miniseries will be on the History Channel, not PBS.

Anonymous said...

I saw the Robertson video. He actually said that he thought it unlikely that clothes would be demon-possessed, but that it can't hurt to pray over them. Still crazy, of course, but I don't want to exaggerate his lunacy.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Thanks Diane,
I'll fix that immediately.
My brain was out to pasture there.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Anonymous,

If Robertson says you should pray over it, then he is de facto saying it could be possessed.

With Robertson, it is difficult to exaggerate his lunacy.

Unknown said...

Hi Glenn What does Rob Bell, Tony Jones, Pat Robertson, and the people who made the Bible series all have in common?

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Ray,
They refuse to read the Bible for what it says and add to it their own ideas.

Unknown said...

I agree and the elephant in the room is they ALL teach/believe in the exact same free will as you. You are right that they add to the Word and what they add that allows all their craziness is free will.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Ray,
You are wrong. Free will is what God gave us. The Scripture is rife with evidence of such, as I demonstrated in my article on Calvinism.

It is Calvinists who have to ADD to the Scripture, as I demonstrated in my article. Without free will, man is nothing but a pre-programmed robot.

End of discussion on Calvinism. Take your false teaching back to a Calvinist blog - you will not get a hearing for your teachings here.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post. I just hung up the phone after talking with my Mom (83 yrs old) and almost the last thing she said was "Are you going to watch The Bible?" and "Did your Pastor mention it this morning?" NO to both. I'm going to bed and my Pastor did not mention it. I've had a check about this movie and when I learned that Roma Downey and her husband were part of making it, I knew that if Hollywood has it's hands on it, it's no where near the real Bible.
It's 2 hours I could never get back and 2 hours I can spend reading the Bible. Thanks again.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Ray,
You can stop now - you will not be posted, but I am going to respond to you to prove your error and be done with you.

It is you who sound like a cult follower. It is you who twist Scripture. You claimed I twisted Scripture and said that Josh. 24:15 is saying, "because it is evil in their eyes to choose to serve the Lord," and yet that contradicts the very words you cited - Josh says, "IF it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord..." Josh proves man has the free will choice, but your interpretation makes it "because" they are that way with no free will choice. You proved nothing to me about what I cited except that you have to reinterpret it to fit into YOUR theology.

Don't "if you are a Christian" to me - I am not required to fight a stupid debate just because you demand it. I never deny that Calvinists are saved so I don't have to fight to convince you of your error. You can be saved and be a Calvinist just as you can be saved and be an evolutionist.

There is nothing wrong with my theology; it is you who worship a God who is capricious, arbitrary and has pre-programmed robots; a God who can save the whole world but refuses to do so and then blames the people. There is nothing in my theology that even remotely comes close to the Robertsons, Bells, and Jones' of the world, so you libel me making such claims.

I have told you way too many times that I do not want to debate Calvinism, and yet you in an un-Christlike manner refuse to stop badgering me. I said I would not accept argumentative comments about Calvinism on my post on that subject and you deceitfully choose another post to do so.

Any comments with "Ray Johnson" on any post on my blog will be deleted unread. You are NOT going to spread your Calvinist nonsense here.

Joe said...

"Pat Robertson again proves what a false teacher he has always been..."

I remember when he ran for president. He boldly proclaimed that God had told him that he would be the next president.

I think I must have slept through his presidency.

Prophets must be 100% right 100% of the time or they are 100% wrong.

PR is filled with vain imaginations.

Mr.and Mrs.White said...

Glenn, why did you not allow Ray Johnson to make any further comments? You were unnecessarily harsh. Where do you stand, are you Arminian? We do not fit into the Arminian or Calvinist camp. We see truth in both, but both camps can be extreme. We believe we have free will and we believe in election and eternal security. We believe in common grace and that the Gospel must be preached to all. We do not believe in sinless perfection nor do we believe that one can lose one's salvation. We believe that sanctification is progressive but we will always have the problem of indwelling sin. We would have liked to read more about Ray Johnson's views.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Mr and Mrs White,

There is a history between Ray and me which you are not familiar with. I will not post him because he has been asked to refrain from the subject and he refused to honor my request. He is a 5-point Calvinist who rejects any other belief, and has demanded that if I think it is wrong then I need to teach Calvinists the truth or else I am being unloving and un-Christian. Since Calvinists refuse to accept that Calvinism is in error, and I refuse to say it ISN'T in error, the debate is fruitless, time wasting, and not edifying at all. I chose not to debate the subject and yet Ray demands I do so. It's not going to happen - that is not what my blog is about.

Since you don't know the history of the past couple of weeks of what has taken place between Ray and me (on other articles of mine and on another blog), then you cannot judge as to whether I am unnecessarily harsh, and I feel you are being presumptuous to do so.

I am neither Arminian nor Calvinist, but to Ray and his Calvinist ilk, they only see non-Calvinists as being Arminian or Semi-pelagian. I don't follow the teachings of either person- rather I follow what the Bible says without twisting it to fit my theology. I think Calvinism is a horrendous system, and you can read my fairly brief artice on the subject from last week.

If you want to read Ray's views, just read Calvinism. Read my doctrinal statement from last week and the comments there with Ray.

I find NO truth in Calvinism. And I believe the Bible is very perspicuous that man has the free will to chose or reject God and the salvation offered.

Anonymous said...

Hi Glenn,

I found your blog from linking to your profile from a discernment site, where you were rudely treated for speaking against calvinism. Believers may disagree/debate that issue, but if we don't do so in a spirit of gentleness, we aren't honoring Christ whom we profess to love.

In this comment string, I don't know who Ray is, but I notice he left out the fact that calvinist Tim Keller is as much of a problem as the "free will" men with which he tried to lump you. Actually, there are many problematic calvinist teachers, not just Keller. But then if he mentioned that fact, Ray would have to incriminate himself, wouldn't he?

Yes, the apostasy is rampant these days. Coming in all flavors, unfortunately. I have found 1 John to be the most helpful book of the Bible to parse the genuine from the false.

Sorry I'm anon, I don't have any online accounts. My name is Carolyn, though.

Thanks Glenn. Grace and peace to you in Christ.