We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Thursday, September 3, 2020

Hillsong Article


On April 21st I wrote about an article investigating Hillsong, which I was commissioned to write for the Personal Freedom Outreach ministry’s Quarterly Journal.

Well the fall issue of The Quarterly Journal is out and my article has been published. This is the last issue of the Journal, which has been published since 1981, and I am humbled that I was asked to contribute to the final edition.

I highly recommend the PFO Journal for general apologetics studies. I have every issue, having ordered all the back issues in about 2001 after subscribing. You can get every issue as pdf files on either CD or thumb drive. Here is information for purchasing a copy as well as information for acquiring the pdf versions for all issues.

Shown below is the cover of the fall Quarterly Journal, and the first two pages of my article about Hillsong to give you a taste of what you will be learning about that cultic organization (click on the photo to enlarge). Be sure to purchase a copy.

(A video showing more bizarre behavior with Hillsong came out after I was finished with my article so it wasn't included, but take a look anyway.)




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Glenn,

What a blessing for you to be able to write that article. I read the beginning of it that you had posted here. It was very good!

Am I correct in understanding that newsletter is the final publication from PFO - as in, they are not going to publish their journals anymore?

-Carolyn

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Carolyn,

Yep, after 40 years the Quarterly Journal has come to an end. The authors over the years have passed away or are finally retiring. Sort of like me, at 68, am getting a warn out brain from so much "research and development."

Like me, PFO is still available to respond to requests for assistance, and all their publications will still be available.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Carolyn,

I have a few extra copies of this last issue; if you're interested in acquiring one, email me your address and I'll send it to you,

Anonymous said...

Glenn,

Gotcha, I can understand why, but it is still sad to see a long term ministry "retire". I don't need a copy of the issue, but thank you for the offer. Glad to hear, though, that they (and you) still will be able to provide publications to those who request them.

-Carolyn

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

I'm just retiring from researching original articles. I'm clearing out a lot of my library, giving them away to people who could use them, as you probably notice. So far this year I've mailed out 101 books as of today. A couple years ago is when I decided to start giving away books I have used for a very long time, and I'm over 500 books now which have left my library.