We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Sunday, September 13, 2020

Two or Three Gathered?

When I came to the Lord through the Navigators back in January of 1974, I was taught to memorize Matthew 18:20:
For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst.

I was taught that this meant that when just two or three Christians gathered together for worship Christ was there with them.

Well, a decade or so later, as I got more in to apologetics, it was pointed out to me that this was an abuse of the text, that the text was about church discipline! Once I read the passage in context from verse 15, I realized how wrong it was for people to teach the “worship” version. 

See for yourself:
15 “If your brother sins, go and show him his fault in private; if he listens to you, you have won your brother. 16 But if he does not listen to you, take one or two more with you, so that by the mouth of two or three witnesses every fact may be confirmed. 17 If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. 18 Truly I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven. 19 Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven. 20 For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst.”

Nowhere in this text is Jesus talking about gathering for worship. It is all about discipline with witnesses.

Now, does that mean when two or three gather for worship the Lord is not with them? No, of course not. But abusing a text about something unrelated to make this point about small gatherings is very poor hermeneutics.

And, sad to say, the guest pastor we had today (filling in for our regular pastor who is on a trip) did exactly that — he talked about small gatherings due to COVID-19 and cited Matthew 18:20. The church is in trouble when even pastors abuse Scripture to make a point.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glenn,

You said, "...the guest pastor we had today ... talked about small gatherings due to COVID-19 and cited Matthew 18:20. The church is in trouble when even pastors abuse Scripture to make a point."

I can't even. That man should be ashamed of himself for warping the Word of God to try to make his own point, which of course, isn't in alignment with God's truth.

I hope you addressed the matter with him or at least will talk to your pastor when he returns about that man's mishandling of the Word.

-Carolyn

PS: I haven't seen Martha post lately. If you're reading this, dear sister, say hello! I've been thinking about you!

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Carolyn,

I didn't bother with the pastor; confronting the guy probably wouldn't have been productive.

Martha said...

Hello dear Carolyn! It is so kind of you to reach out to me with a friendly greeting. This world is in need of more good and godly women like you. This ministry blog that Glen has been led, I believe, by the Holy Spirit, has greatly encouraged me in my faith in Jesus, alone, for my salvation. And the bonus is, additional born again believers like you Carolyn, have also been a tremendous blessing and encouragement to me as well! Keep being Bereans in these trying times!

I see there is another Martha here, who believes differently than I do. Did some research on the Kjv a number of years ago, and discovered many Scriptures were reworded and twisted to accommodate a certain lord it over, abusive authoritarian mind set. After all, do not the king's of this earth, relish their power over the common man? Even James, way back when, loved his control over Jesus' flock.

Paul encouraged the Bereans of His time period as they tested every word coming out of his mouth, with the Scriptures. I believe we are to do the same today, and astonishingly, I read no where in the text, that Paul was offended. What a wonder! He was a growing a maturing believer, as we are to strive to be as well.

In lieu of our circumstances, Jesus' sheep are still called to be the light and salt of this earth until His Glorious return.

Anonymous said...

Glenn,

That's not our Martha!

-Carolyn

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Carolyn,

I know. I'm pretty sure it is a guy who is a troll banned from this blog and he knows I consider the KJVO position is cultic.

Anonymous said...

Glenn,

I agree with you, that "Martha" at September 15, 2020 at 1:37 PM sounds like a troll.

To contrast: Martha posting at September 16, 2020 at 7:23 AM - NOW THAT IS OUR MARTHA!!

Hello dear Martha!!!!!

I am so thrilled to hear from you! It is always a treasure to meet you here in Glenn's "online home". Likewise, I am always encouraged by the content of Glenn's blog as well as by your comments (and those of the other sound believers who post here). I am glad I have encouraged you as you have me, which you have done many times!

I agree with you, dear sister, on your view of KJVO. It's a mindset of those who love to be overlords. You are so right about Paul - even when he was scrutinized, he was never offended. He welcomed people to test his words by the written Word, and to hold fast to the Scriptures, not to any word of man, not even himself! He even wished himself to be accursed in Gal 1 if he were to have ever preached another gospel.

Thank you for the edifying reminder for us to continue to be salt and light until He returns (or calls us home).

Blessings to you both!

-Carolyn