We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Monday, January 27, 2020

Did They Really Say That?!?

Mary, by her spiritual entering into the sacrifice of her Divine Son for men, made atonement for the sins of men, and (de congruo) merited the application of the redemptive grace of Christ. In this manner she co-operates in the subjective redemption of mankind.

Ludwig Ott, Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma, p.213.

Again I have to ask, where is this in Scripture? Christ made atonement for the sins of mankind, Mary did NOT! Roman Catholics make Mary into a god.

9 comments:

Paul G said...

Yes, all Catholics believe that garbage, I ought to know, I was one of them before I became born again and I was transferred from darkness into His marvellous light.

Thank you Jesus ! ! :-)

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Paul G,
Looking at your site I see you swung way over in the direction of legalism.

Paul G said...

Hi Russell, yes it might be so for some. And I think we both know that it is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the living God, don’t we ?
Especially for those who think that is all grace and no works :-)

Paul G said...

Ops, I meant Glenn. Russell is the other guy I was talking to, sorry again :-)

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Paul,

It doesn't justify legalistic teachings. Works are not necessary for salvation, but they do prove your faith.

An example of your legalist -- and actually historically false view - is your article about Christmas trees. I counter that in my article here: https://watchmansbagpipes.blogspot.com/2010/12/christmas-time-scripture-abuse.html
You might also view this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqqnizHe_0o

I have skimmed a bit more of your blog and see other legalistic ideas. Romanism is also based on legalistic ideas, just of a different nature.

Paul G said...

Glenn.
It seems to me that you are doubting that salvation it is ALL and ONLY grace :-)
You said, “Works are not necessary for salvation, but they do prove your faith.”

What “Not necessary” ?
If salvation is ALL and ONLY grace, then works are totally excluded, and you don’t need to prove it by your faith or by works, or grace is no longer grace.
Remember, faith without works is dead.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Paul,
Works are NOT necessary for salvation. No matter how many works you do, you won't be saved by them.

James says your faith is proven by your works (i.e. faith w/o works is dead) -- you do works because you are saved, not to be saved.

Why is that so difficult to understand?

Jesse Albrecht said...

Try this commentary on James 2:

https://rationalchristiandiscernment.blogspot.com/2018/02/are-we-justified-by-faith-and-works.html

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Patrick TW,

I don't post comments by Trolls who spread Papist lies, but I'm going to respond to some of your claims:
1. The teaching I posted is 100% Papist doctrine extracted from a papist scholar's book and approved by the papacy.
2. No, there is nothing in Scripture to say Papist "tradition" is on a par with Scripture.
3. The Papist Church was organized long after the Bible was written and had nothing to do with the creation of it.
4. The quote I cited is not a straw man -- it is evidence against Rome.