We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Saturday, September 5, 2015

Do You Worship Sports?


The same church members who yell like Comanche Indians at a ball game on Saturday sit like wooden Indians in church on Sunday.  

Vance Havner, cited by Leonard Ravenhill, Why Revival Tarries, pg. 84

5 comments:

Joe said...

In an older church, where tradition has dictated somber worship, it is tough to help members realize that Biblical worship is exciting and praising God involves the expression of emotion.

As a choir director, I have spent a great deal of effort trying to get my traditionally somber singers loosen up and sing with visible passion.

I do not try to lead them to the extreme, just to be willing to put as much effort into worship as they do into football fan-ship.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Joe,

The problem with so many modern "worship leaders" is that the go to the other end and create enthusiasm.

Pumice said...

Actually, I can sit through an entire sporting event and not yell, scream or wave my hands. That is who I am. I can be deeply convicted and blessed in church and show little on the outside. That is who I am. When I have a worship leader trying to whip up the same response I see at a disco I want to ask him, "Where were you when the Lord and I were having a great time together at 5:00 A.M."

Grace and peace.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Pumice,

I'm pretty much sedate with my emotions, keeping them pretty much inside. But the point of the quote, in my opinion, is that people do indeed virtually worship sports and will cheer like crazy, but then act like they are being forced to be in church and behave as if they are totally bored - or at the very least indifferent. IF a person has no emotions during worship (not necessarily displayed), then I have to wonder the person is really thinking about worshiping God.

Pumice said...

Good point.

Grace and peace