We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Be Discerning!


Any of [the teaching] that is good is in the Word of God, and any that is not in the Word of God, and any that is not in the Word of God is not good.  I am a Bible Christian and if an archangel with a wingspread as broad as a constellation shining like the sun were to come and offer me some new truth, I’d ask him for a reference.  If he could not show me where it is found in the Bible, I would bow him out and say, “I’m awfully sorry, you don’t bring any references with you.”

A.W. Tozer, cited by Gary Gilley in Think on These Things, September 2008, p10

2 comments:

PetriPaavola said...

Kris Vallotton is senior assistant pastor of the Bethel Church. On his website, Kris Vallotton posted a text (on 13 June 2016) about his meeting with pope Franciscus.

More info: http://www.kotipetripaavola.com/deceptionpopeherofaith.html

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Yes, I'm familiar with Kris and his meeting with the Pope. No surprise, because nothing sound comes from Bethel.