We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Do Nothing to Grieve the Holy Spirit


Remember that the Spirit is always in you.  Start your day by saying, “I am a child of God, and therefore the Holy Spirit of God dwells within me.  Whatever I may be, whatever I may have to do, whatever may happen to me, He will be with me; my very thought, word and deed will be in His sight and in His presence.”  Oh, how I thank God for the privilege!  how careful I should be in nothing to grieve Him or to disappoint Him!  Grieve not the Holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed until the day of redemption.  Remember Him, remember why He is doing in you, think of the glory for which He is preparing you, and the things that grieve Him will become unthinkable.

D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones, “Darkness and Light: An Exposition of Ephesians 4:17-5:17,” pg.276-277

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Almost on topic...

Words that my generation considered "swear words" or "salty language" are getting normalized among the gen-Xers. I'm sure you've seen that.

Even some who attend church are dropping the F-bomb on a daily basis, including in the social media I have been viewing. Does clean language ever come up as a topic in sermons at your church?

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

I've never heard any teachings about language. I've taught about it during my 10 years as a high school Sunday School teacher. I've even written about it:
http://watchmansbagpipes.blogspot.com/2012/10/should-christians-say.html

And last week I posted a citation from D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones in reference to our culture and language:
http://watchmansbagpipes.blogspot.com/2016/03/communications-are-corrupted-in-our.html