We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Saturday, March 5, 2016

Are You Concerned About Those in Darkness?


Christian people, may I put it to you like this:  Are you concerned about the masses that are in this darkness?  I know you feel a sense of disgust with respect to them; we all do; but if you merely feel a sense of disgust, and gather up your skirts, and walk on the other side of the street, you are almost as bad as they are.  The Levite and the priest did just that, and no more, when they saw the wounded man by the roadside.  That is of no value.  If we realise that the people we encounter are living worthless lives because of this world’s tragic ignorance and darkness, then, I say, as Christian people it should move us to say, “What can I do for these people? How can gospel light and knowledge be brought to them?”

D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones, “Darkness and Light: An Exposition of Ephesians 4:17-5:17,” pg.389


4 comments:

mywordlikefire said...

Martyn Lloyd-Jones was a great teacher and preacher, and some of his sermons can be found on Youtube. Thanks for posting this

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

I've had numerous books by Lloyd-Jones, most of which I have given to others as I finish them. These citations from his 8-volume Ephesians series will continue as I select quotes from the last three volumes; as I finish them they are being passed on.

I also have audio of a series on Genesis.

Angus said...

He's wrong, you aren't almost as bad, but worse. To not know the power of Christ is tragic, to know it but to walk past on the other side, is indicative of those who are claiming to be followers of Jesus but aren't living in the way.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Angus,

No, he isn't wrong. Whether or not one is completely living in the way at all times (can any of us do so?), the saved are still better off -- i.e., not as bad off as the unbeliever.