We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Monday, October 14, 2013

Spiritual Gifts Have A Purpose


“The apostle’s view of the gifts was stated with perfect clarity in 1 Corinthians 12:7, where he said, ‘Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.’  The gifts have a purpose.  They are given for the edification of the church, not for private pleasure or for a demonstration of the supposed highest level of spirituality.  They are not a tool to manipulate your inner states or a device to make you feel better.  They facilitate the edification of the church.  This is the key point.  Everything that is given to the church is given for its edification.  If it doesn’t edify, no matter how exciting it seems, no matter how spiritual it feels - it is not fulfilling the requirements for a spiritual gift.”

Richard L. Ganz, “Controversies That Almost Killed a Church: Paul’s Counsel to the Corinthians and the Church Today,” p.166

6 comments:

Joe said...

That is a significant description of the reason for spiritual gifts.

Having said that, I always claim my spiritual gift to be those of sarcasm and cynicism. I cite II Hezekiah 4:12 as my source.

Anonymous said...

Well put!

-carolyn

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

I'm trying find II Hezekiah but I don't know where to look! I'll just bet you're twisting the passage though! :oD

Steve Bricker said...

More need to hear this message.

Joe said...

My Sunday School Director came into my office and during our conversation I made one of my unknown famous new old sayings and quoted II Hezekiah as my source. He scanned his Bible and said, "I don't spend as much time in Hezekiah as I should." When it dawned on him that I was pulling his leg, he slammed his Bible down, stormed out of the room and resigned as SS Director.

I wasn't all that sad.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

That's just tooooo funny!