We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Some Recommended Reading


It’s time again for me to steer my readers to some good articles on other sites.

First up, should wives submit to their husbands?  Is this really a biblical idea?  And what does it mean?  Check out the article, Should wives submit?

One of the big lies of our culture is fashion - that women, especially young women and teens (and even pre-teen!) should dress provocatively - that its great to be “sexy,” as well as being great to attract members of the opposite sex!  The culture of provocative fashion even includes young men!  Marie Notcheva has a good article discussing the problem with this mindset, and how we can reclaim the modesty our Lord desires.

One of the controversies in the modern church is about the gift of tongues; is it a real language or just some “heavenly” or “angelic” language?  And are tongues for today?  The Cripplegate has a good discussion about this subject.

Have you ever tried explaining the Trinity?  It is a difficult concept to wrap one’s head around.  I can prove it by logic (as I have done on this blog), but describing how it works with analogies can get very difficult, especially when trying to avoid heresy.  I think Doug Beaumont has the best analogy yet.

Finally, the Christmas season is upon us and that means many Christians will be giving a multitude of reasons why Christians shouldn’t be celebrating it.  Aside from two article I’ve previously written on the subject, Jon Gleason has a selection of articles covering just about every angle.  I think you’ll find his articles thought-provoking.

2 comments:

Jon Gleason said...

Hello, Glenn. I'm behind on my blog reading! Just wanted to say thanks for the link.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Jon,

You're quite welcome. I enjoy your blog, and when I find things I think are exceptionally thought-provoking or very informative on any blog I follow, I get this urge to share!