We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Random Apostasies and Heresies


I’m getting behind in my blog work, and here it is already time to post a “Random”  update!

I have reported on Joel Osteen’s false teachings several times in the past, but I found a good short article this past week which I think has some good information about this heretic.

Well, there’s more going on about Sarah Young’s book, “Jesus Calling.”  It seems that a pastor wrote a book critiquing it, and he was railed against in the reviews.  The followers of Young others like her, such as Beth Moore, behave so much like cult members that it is astonishing!  All discernment is thrown out the window as they follow these false teachers with every fibre of their being.  I find it to be very sad.

I’ve seen the Women of Faith conference advertised at my church in the past, and never saw anything in the advertisements which raised my warning flags.  But, now it looks like they are going the way of all other “tickling the ears” conferences.  The books sold through the Women of Faith online bookstore should be a good litmus test of what they are sanctioning and promoting at their conferences.  I guess it has been a while since I’ve seen the conference advertised, because they’ve been promoting this junk for quite some time now, including selling Brian McLaren’s heretical books.  Now they are getting involved with New Ager Roma Downey!  This article at Lighthouse Trails gives more information.

An interesting article was one I read from Tim Challies, about the obsession Christians have with virginity.  Of course we all believe that sexual relations should only take place within in the confines of marriage, but we also know that in today’s sex-saturated society that there are those who are seduced into having sexual relations while in junior and senior high school, let alone while in college.  What often happens is that these young people realize they have done wrong, repent of it and want to move on, but many Christians teach that they are now “damaged goods.”  This is especially true of the girls.  I think Challies makes some very important points.

I haven’t previously addressed a religious system which is prevalent in the area in which   I live - the Amish.  The Amish are indeed a very legalistic group of people, and I have read may testimonies by those who have left that system.  Now, I don’t doubt that there are true believers among the Amish, just as there are among Roman Catholics, but the Amish’ stress on works places a very heavy burden on their followers.  And the idea that living as if they are still in the 18th century makes them more holy and less likely to become worldly is just untrue. 
A friend recently loaned us a DVD movie based on a book by Beverly Lewis, who, for whatever reason, is enamored with the Amish and writes novels about them, romanticizing their religious beliefs.  It was very sad to see that the movie actually approved of such legalistic living.
This is all to say that I found a very interesting article about the Amish, as well about Beverly Lewis’ romanticizing of them.  I consider the Amish to be cultic.

More about Charles Stanley’s In Touch magazine has been reported by Lighthouse Trails Research ministry.  The magazine is getting deeper and deeper into the mystical movement and away from sound biblical teaching.  Stanley has to be held personally responsible.

Recovering Grace had a good article about the origins of Bill Gothard’s Institute for Basic Life Principles and all the false and legalistic teachings found there.  Just with the highlights covered in the article, one has to wonder why Christians - especially home-schoolers - are still enamored with him.

Former Anglican Archbishop Desmond Tutu says that he would rather go to hell than to go to a “Homophobic Heaven.”  Of course we all know that the word “homophobic” means being against sanctioning homosexual behavior.  Him being from the Anglican community makes this not really as surprising as it seems, since the Anglican community long ago went pro-homosexual.  Tutu says he won’t worship “a god who is homophobic.” I guess Tutu will discover the truth too late.

Tim Keller is getting more and more apologists and theologians criticizing his teachings - which is good from my vantage point; I always like it when popular teachers are exposed for their false teachings.  This article reviews a new book which examines some of Keller’s teachings.

Another popular false teacher is Donald Miller, of “Blue Like Jazz” fame.  He gave some advice recently about seeking truth, and yet it was poor advice - as usual.  A good examination of this latest teaching was posted over at Juicy Ecumenism.

The Presbyterian Church (USA) really, really doesn’t seem to every want to be an orthodox denomination again.  Now they rejected the hymn “In Christ Alone” because it teaches a biblical truth about God’s wrath!  Sigh!

An interesting thought about how Joseph Smith was fooled by Satan - according to the LDS teachings!

Oh, the United Church of Christ keeps demonstrating why it isn’t a real Christian denomination.  I don’t know if there is anything in their teachings which line up with the Bible!  They have an advice column on their official web site, and received a request for advice about a non-married sexual relationship, in which the one partner is suggesting a three-some.  The advice columnist has no problem with polyamory, and even uses the Bible to say it is okay!  In the advice, there is no condemnation of what the partner wants to do, rather the problem is that the two are not in agreement!!!!!  Well, once you approve homosexual behavior, then why is polyamory wrong?

Another liberal denomination, the United Methodist Church, has a pro-homosexuality movement within which has never been, to my knowledge, condemned by the UMC.  Well, this movement has led to the Desert-Southwest Conference to declare all their facilities now have “open bathrooms” policies.  The idea is to help “transgendered” people.  ARGH!  More of the emperor’s new clothes.

Lastly, the Pope is still Catholic.  I last reported about his granting indulgences for following him on Twitter, and now he has granted indulgences for those who attended the World Youth Day in Brazil.  Along with this heresy, the pope did a lot of praying to “Mary” while in Lampedusa, Italy.  Having read the prayer, all I can do is shake my head at such foolishness.  In addition to reporting on this event, Elizabeth Prata examines the whole issue of praying to Mary, and just how unbiblical it is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Glenn,

Wow, oh my, the WOF conferences... ugh. I went to one, and only one, not knowing what it was, and I'm never going to one again. Sounds like they've gone from bad to worse.

Challies article was beautiful, and will bring much comfort to anyone who has fallen and repented of immorality. But some of the comments were just awful, some very self righteous persons made some pretty hurtful remarks about "non virgins" as being less desirable that the so-called "pure". Yet look at how the Lord dealt with the woman "caught in the very act" (John 8) or the woman "sinner" of Luke 7. No wonder Christ says beware of the leaven of the Pharisees...

Speaking of immorality and the amish... you are absolutely right about there being a heavy works doctrine in that people group. They aren't holier because they are living like it's 1829. In fact, my husband and I went to a farm auction a few years ago, and I got the distinct feeling I was being ogled by a man. I was... by an amish man! As soon as he realized I caught him ogling me, he turned away and tried to look innocent. But a short while later, I noticed he did it again, this time though I whispered to my husband to let him know. My husband quickly caught the eye of the ogling amish man and gave him a pointed glare. That ended the ogling.

The cult like behavior of Moore followers (and this Young, too, apparently) is unreal. I personally have no interest in Moore. I am unfamiliar with Young, don't care to get familiar.

PCUSA should be ashamed. In Christ Alone is an amazing hymn, and God's wrath was satisfied in Christ's sacrifice, and I am SO glad for that! There is NO condemnation for those in Christ Jesus, Amen!

I could say more, but I've written enough in the comments... this was a super good roundup today. Thanks!

-carolyn

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Hi Carolyn,

I agree - many of the comments on the Challies article were abhorrent. There was too much assuming that if a woman wasn’t a virgin then it was because she was still a promiscuous woman who never repented. Of course the attitude about men wasn’t the same - same old double-standard from some of these people.

We have a huge Amish and Mennonite population in our area, so we are quite familiar with them. I’ve purchased several books about them - books favorable to them - so as to understand more from their viewpoint. However, all I find is a “holier than thou” religion which is works-oriented.

The PCUSA will never be ashamed - they just keep sliding farther and farther into total apostasy.