We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

An Interaction With Some Atheists


This past week I was asked by a reader to engage in a comment string about Mormonism on an internet news source.  The topic was Mitt Romney’s presidential bid, and how the LDS is not a Christian church.  Two atheists decided to join in condemning any attempt by Christians to stand firm for the true faith, and then kept bringing in all sorts of red herrings about Christianity (their view of it) in general.  Staying on topic seemed to be quite difficult for them, as they kept wanting to discuss homosexuality - which I refused to do; I made absolutely no comment about the subject.  
At one point I provided a link to a video about Joel Osteen’s claim of the LDS being Christian, because the point of the video was about how apologists have to work much harder when heretics like Osteen open their mouths about that which they have no clue.   Rather than take away from the video what was intended by the ministry which made it, the atheists wanted to know how we could say Joel Osteen wasn’t a Christian.  Rather than stay off topic, I just said they could visit my blog to learn more about Osteen.
Anyway, after I felt I provided as much information about the differences between LDS and Christianity, I left the conversation because it was time-consuming and going nowhere.  However, when I checked back to make sure my departing comment was posted, there were two comments about me and this blog which I found interesting.
The first comment included this:  “I decided to have a look at Jude's blog [ref my e-mail address as identity] after all, to see if my initial impression of his negative attitude to LGBT people was well placed.”
Since I had made no comment whatsoever about “LGBT people” on the comment string, I was somewhat taken aback by his claim that I had a “negative attitude” about the subject - how does one get an “impression” about someone’s beliefs when those beliefs have never been discussed?
The comment continued thus:  “Sad to say his attitude is extremely negative. He speaks of LGBT people in very degrading and derisory terms which only goes to confirm that he is incapable of discussion with those who don't share his views without resorting to insult and rudeness.”
WOW!  Is he reading THIS blog?  
What have I actually stated about “LGBT people”?  Nothing.  What have I said about homosexuality on this blog?  Well, I have demonstrated proper exegesis of the biblical passages dealing with homosexuality and have called it a sin.  I have demonstrated that there is a difference between “orientation” (maybe not chosen) and “behavior” (always chosen).  I have stated that homosexual behavior cannot be condoned by Christians, and those churches who do so are apostatizing.  I have said that the “homosexual Christian” movement is much like a cult in the way they completely re-interpret scripture to support their theology.  And I expose and condemn so-called Christian leaders giving approval to homosexual behavior.
I challenge anyone to find on this blog where I speak of these people in “very degrading and derisory terms,” let alone where I have demonstrated the inability to have discussions “without resorting to insult and rudeness.”
As disconcerting as this comment was in its blatant fabrication, the other comment amused me greatly.  Here’s what was said:
“I just wonder who appointed Jude to his status as a "Proud member of the International Order of Heresy Hunters". Really isn't there something better you could be doing, Jude? Like taking care of the oppressed and marginalised rather than setting yourself up as a modern day member of the Inquisition? strange stuff indeed....”
What he is referring to, of course, is the statement under my photo on the right side of the blog.  Apparently the commenter has no understanding of sarcasm.  
For those not in the loop, apologists are often labeled “heresy hunters” by false teachers, especially false teachers in the Word of Faith heresy.  After all, how dare anyone expose their heretical teachings!  To counter this claim, many years ago Robert Liichow (an ex-WOF follower, now LCMS pastor) came up with a gimmick.  For a small “membership fee” he sent out a certificate, such as this one which hangs on the wall of my library:
Along with the certificate comes a stack of “Heresy Hunter Cards,” fixed up like trading cards.  On the front side it will say if it is from the “Televangelist Series” or the “Fake Healer Series,” along with the photo and name of a known heretic.  The reverse side has the word “HERETICS” across the top, followed by a copy of the picture from the lower right of the certificate, and underneath that it says, “Stake’m And Bake’m.”
Ladies and gentlemen, it is called “humor”!  We really aren’t holding any inquisitions, and aren’t really burning anyone!
What I really find interesting in these comments, as well as the whole string, was that these atheists were making moral judgments.  By what standard were they making such judgments if they have no God as their foundation?  What makes them consider themselves authorities on what is right or wrong if there is no moral standard?
Let me sum up by saying that I really do not discuss homosexuality on this blog other than as noted above.  Those who practice immoral sexual behavior are sinners in need of a savior, sinners who have been deceived by Satan into believing that what they are doing is right and proper.  
Nor do I have to hunt heresy - it’s everywhere!!!!  The best apologists can do is fight it off by exposing it for what it is - more deception by Satan.

4 comments:

Neil said...

That is sadly typical of atheists. Satan is using homosexuality as his #1 tool around the world. My youngest daughter has experienced similar things, where kids claim they would consider Christianity except it is "anti-gay." Of course, I think those folks are spiritually dead and using it as an excuse, but Satan is definitely using it to keep people in their anti-Christian stance.

In a weird way it may be a good thing, as it is useful for separating sheeps and goats.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

It was so baffling because this comment came out of nowhere. My entire discussion was about LDS doctrine and why it wasn't Christian. Not once was homosexuality ever discussed or even hinted at. I'm guessing he just assumed I was that way towards "LGBT people" because I'm Christian.

I can just imagine discussing bridge design with this guy and then have him say, "My impression of you is that you have a negative attitude about LGBT people."

Bizarre, just bizarre!

Anonymous said...

Hi Glen,

I think that they are confusing LDS with LGBT.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

No, but they did get a couple other Christians to take the bait and discuss homosexuality because of Romney's support of same-sex fake marriage in Massachusetts.