We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Monday, January 29, 2024

What's In Your Church Library?

Last week I was at a church whose doctrines and members seemed to be pretty solid in the Christian faith; I was there to play for a funeral. While waiting for my turn I spent a short time in their library warming up and there was a shelf of books right in front of me. I was disappointed in what I saw—apostasy and heresy.

I didn’t have time to look any farther because I was called out. But here are the things I saw:

Books by Joyce Meyer, Joel Osteen, and Jen Hatmaker

The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren

Don Piper’s 90 Minutes in Heaven.


Unless these books are stamped inside with something like, “FALSE TEACHING: Use Only for Cult Studies, Research, or Other Apologetics Needs,” they have no business being in a church library.


If you find them in the church you attend, seek to have them removed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Or church purged a whole bunch of books from the library ... not just reference and such, but a lot of amish romance that people donated.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Well, some reference books are worth keeping!

Marshal Art said...

I don't have a particular objection to heretical books in a Christian church library, so long as they're grouped accordingly. It's good for Christians to supplement their study of the Truth with a knowledge of the lies put forth to lead us astray so as to learn how best to counter them. But to put the books of false teachers amongst good Christian books is a bad idea. Of course, does the pastor know the difference?

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Art,

As I noted, if they are going to be in the library, they should be stamped as false teachings. Otherwise the non-discerning will read them without knowing they are being poisoned.