We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Did He Really Say That?!?

As a reformed Christian, the  writer [author] believes that counselors must not tell any unsaved counselee that Christ died for him, for they cannot say that. No man knows except Christ himself who are his elect for whom he died.

Jay Adams, Competent to Counsel, pg.70

This is one of the major problems of Calvinist/Reformed ideology. The Bible says Christ died for ALL mankind but it is only efficacious for those who accept salvation through Christ.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Glenn,

"The Bible says Christ died for ALL mankind but it is only efficacious for those who accept salvation through Christ."

Exactly. Well said.

-Carolyn

Unknown said...

McArthur is calvinist why are ppl excoriating rev. gene Kim an apologist dispensationalist???

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Unknown,

Um, who is excoriating Gene Kim? I never heard of him but now that I looked him up I find his ignornance regarding KJVO not worth my time with him. KJV Onlyism is cultic.

I know MacArthur is a Calvinist, but so what? Except for when he teaches something specifically Calvinst he has excellent teachings overall. As I say in my 12/13/21 article:

I consider certain Calvinist ideas to be harmful theologically but nothing in Calvinism is what I’d call heretical or violating fundamental doctrines of the faith; I consider these ideas as aberrations which can cause people to stumble in their faith. ... However, I want to assure my readers that the issue of Calvinism is not something to separate fellowship over. I have many, many friends who are Calvinists (and probably 90%of my theological/apologetics library have Calvinist authors).

So what does your comment have to do with this post?