We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Thursday, March 12, 2020

Are You Standing?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny you should put up the picture of this idol.

I play euphonium in a small band and several times a year we do the music for various local Lutheran churches. One of which has Mrs Vicar/pastor. I don't like this, as I believe 1 Tim 2 is for all times and all places, but I'm not a member or even regular attender, so I have had to spit this particular pip out.

This Sunday we are playing, also with organ accompaniment as well. The organist, James, who used to play in the band, is also playing. Now James has been 'Catherine' for about the last three months or so. Also stood for election as an elder (is only about 21) and is involved in the youth work of the church. Whether he was elected or not I don't know.

I can just about cope with Mrs Vicar despite not agreeing with it, but this goes too far. My conscience is very uneasy about this, and I am only too well aware of what the scriptures say on this theme (albeit indirectly, but it's clear), and I am aware that in both the US and the UK Christians are being given rough treatment for not bowing down to this idol, and can find their job or business prospects curtailed or worse. I wish to avoid giving the impression that by attending in future I am condoning this kind of behaviour, but at the same time want wisdom in not coming across as narrow and bigoted.

My sister has already prayed about this, and she said afterwards she was convicted very strongly that I should follow my conscience rather than over-analyse this intellectually. This kind of thing spreads like yeast.

I am minded simply to use scripture on this, after all it is God's word. I don't want unpleasantness, but you can't always avoid it, and I think I have reached my 'come ye out from among them' stage as far as this particular church goes.

The individual concerned whom I know and got on well with in the past may be genuinely messed up on the male/female binary, I don't know. Mentally ill? But the trapped in the wrong body line I have always taken to be utter nonsense and an example of Rom 1 'claiming to be wise they became fools and their senseless hearts were darkened'.

Isn't this whole thing a classic example of what you get when you disregard scripture. Adam was not deceived but Eve was fully deceived and fell into transgression.

Ken B

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Ken,

I have to agree with you that it is time to leave. Any church which supports the "transgender" lie is apostate.