We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Monday, February 25, 2019

Why the Book Give Aways?


I don’t remember if I ever explained why I am passing along books, etc, from my library, so I’ll do it now for those curious.

My apologetics/theology library has over 1000 volumes of books and journals in six, 7-foot bookshelves and boxes.  I  also had a couple hundred other books which were left over from our old book table ministry.

We are anticipating moving in a few years at the most and I would like to not have to move all these publications!  Aside for the leftovers from the book table ministry, I have been slowly going through my shelves to see what is redundant — i.e., what books have been later replaced by others with more information or revised editions, etc.  Also, what books have I not used for reference in years.  Essentially, I want to divest myself of any material for which I do not see a future need!

Since I started offering them on my blog in 2016, I have given away over 250 books, 25 videos, numerous journals and magazines, and other booklets and small publications.

I find it worth spending the postage to be able to pass along this material to the younger generation (I’m going to be 67 in April), especially since many health issues are slowing me down in my "research and development” for articles and studies, etc.  After all, it costs me much less in media mail postage than it would for any of the recipients to purchase the book!  And many of the books I have sent out were acquired from unusual sources.

Mind you, every single book in my library, including those I’m passing along, have been read by me.  I will not pass along something with which I’m not familiar, and I’ve destroyed probably another 100 books published by cults or false teachers and which were used by me for researching them.  I didn’t want these to get into the wrong hands and mislead people.

So just keep your eyes out for when I post books for give-aways—the first comment or email I receive (based on time stamps, since I might not see them until the next day) requesting the book is who will get it.  

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many health issues?!?!? The picture at the top of your blog give the appearance of you being well and robust.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Since you are probably my common troll, let's just say what is internal doesn't always show on the external.

Anonymous said...

Glen,
I like that you don’t pass along books that could lead astray. I once bought a book about WW 2 for my grandson, thinking it would be a good read for him....he loves all things ‘army’, being 9yrs old. Got home and read part of it. Too much language and stuff he didn’t need to know. So I threw it away rather than return and get my money back. Didn’t think any other child needed those graphic stories. Same holds true for false teachings. I’ve got a few of those books in my library, too,but have written warnings in the front in case anyone borrows them. Thanks for sending out your books for others to enjoy.
Kathryn

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Kathryn,
Thanks for that example of why discernment must be used with ALL books!

I actually enjoy passing these books along to those who have an interest in learning.

Anonymous said...

What we should be passing out is the King James Bible. That is all I want. That is all we really need, for it cannot deceive anyone. Too many people these days who dare to read books find themselves "feeling like scholars" or "becoming like their own popes". We do not need scholarly opinions. All we need is the King James Bible and Independent Fundamental Bible believing Baptist Pastors who can turn the world up side down for all these compromising denominations.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Anonymous,

Thanks for continuing to prove your abject ignorance as a member of the totally aberrational and deceived KJV Only cult. Please troll elsewhere.