We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Objectively Test Belief


There must be an objective test for what we believe. Experience is not a test; a many may become very happy and live a much better life than he did before, though he believes something that is not true. Things with are not true in and of themselves may appear at first to do us good because, of course, the devil can turn himself into an angel of light; it is pathetic to notice the way in which some people forget that teaching. We must never base our doctrines upon experience, but upon truth.

D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones

1 comment:

Papa Goose said...

Try to tell this to someone who is caught up in the 'experience' of God or other such nonsense. I have heard it said that the last person to realise a deception is the one who has been deceived.
After having been deceived myself for a period of time, I am always concerned that I may be following the pied piper of false teaching again. It is comforting to know the scriptures supply everything I need in order to remain in the truth. If I remain in the truth of the scriptures, I need not worry. Every man or woman teaching theology MUST be examined by what has been written.