We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Addressing Some Contemporary “Worship” Songs


I guess I’m never surprised at the choices our song leaders make regarding songs to use for congregational singing.  Most of these new songs are just not designed for such use, but are more for performing by someone on stage or making a recording.  The writers of these songs heavily rely on repetition, which can be very, very annoying.  However, in the assembly I note that during the repetitions people will lift their hands and sway to the music, getting all emotionally involved without really considering what it is they are singing!

Three examples from this past Sunday will be given in this post, the first two of which were used in the assembly which we attend, while the last one was used at the assembly we left two years ago.

You Gave Your Life Away,
by Paul Baloche

You spoke and worlds were formed
You breathed and life was born
You knew that one day You would come

So far from Heaven's throne
Clothed in human form
You showed the world the Father's love

You gave, You gave Your life away
You gave, You gave Your life away
You gave, You gave Your life away for me

Your grace has broken every chain
My sins are gone, my debt's been paid
You gave, You gave Your life away for me

You lived a sinless life
Yet You were crucified
You bought our freedom on the cross

You gave, You gave Your life away
You gave, You gave Your life away
You gave, You gave Your life away for me

Forsaken for our sin
You died and rose again
Jesus, You are the Lamb of God

How glorious is Your love!
If I could sing forever, it's not enough
How glorious is Your love!
If I could sing forever, it's not enough

You gave, You gave Your life away
You gave, You gave Your life away
You gave, You gave Your life away for me

If one just sticks with the basic lyrics, the song is okay.  But the mindless repetition in the chorus left me mute; I couldn’t handle it.

You Are My King, 
by Chris Tomlin

I'm forgiven because you were forsaken
I'm accepted, You were condemned
I'm alive and well
Your spirit is within me
Because you died and rose again

I'm forgiven because you were forsaken
I'm accepted, you were condemned
I'm alive and well
Your spirit is within me
Because you died and rose again

Amazing love, how can it be?
That you, my king. would die for me
Amazing love, I know it's true
Its my joy to honor you
Amazing love how can it be?
That my king would die for me
Amazing love I know it's true
Its my joy to honor you
In all I do
I honor you

I'm forgiven because you were forsaken
I'm accepted, you were condemned
I'm alive and well
Your spirit is within me
Because you died and rose again

Amazing love how can it be
That you, my king would die for me
Amazing love, I know its true
It's my joy to honor you
Amazing love how can it be?
That you, my king, would die for me
Amazing love, I know its true
Its my joy to honor you
In all I do I honor you

You are my king
You are my king
Jesus, You are my king
Jesus, You are my king

Amazing love, how can it be?
That you, my king, would die for me
Amazing love, I know it's true
Its my joy to honor you
Amazing love, how can it be?
That you, my king would die for me
Amazing love I know it's true
Its my joy to honor you
In all I do I honor you
In all I do honor you

Talk about mindless repetition!  Again, the lyrics are okay, but over and over and over again!?!?  Really, shouldn’t we have repeated this five or six more times to really get the emotions going?

Mercy,
by Matt Redman and Jonas Myrin

I will kneel in the dust
At the foot of the cross,
Where mercy paid for me.
Where the wrath I deserve,
It is gone, it has passed.
Your blood has hidden me.

Mercy, mercy,
As endless as the sea.
I'll sing Your hallelujah
For all eternity.

We will lift up the cup
And the bread we will break,
Remembering Your love.
We were fallen from grace,
But You took on our shame
And nailed it to a cross.

Mercy, mercy,
As endless as the sea.
I'll sing Your hallelujah
For all eternity.

Mercy, mercy,
As endless as the sea.
I'll sing Your hallelujah
For all eternity.

May I never lose the wonder,
Oh, the wonder of Your mercy.
May I sing Your hallelujah.
Hallelujah, Amen.

May I never lose the wonder,
Oh, the wonder of Your mercy.
May I sing Your hallelujah.
Hallelujah, Amen.

May I never lose the wonder,
Oh, the wonder of Your mercy.
May I sing Your hallelujah.
Hallelujah, Amen.

May I never lose the wonder,
Oh, the wonder of Your mercy.
May I sing Your hallelujah.
Hallelujah, Amen.

May I never lose the wonder,
Oh, the wonder of Your mercy.
May I sing Your hallelujah.
Hallelujah, Amen.

I will kneel in the dust
At the foot of the cross,
Where mercy paid for me.

Well, the repetition here goes beyond all bounds.  But there are also some problems with the lyrics:
Will the singer really “kneel in the dust at the foot of the cross”?  I understand this is to be metaphorical, but can’t we be at least a wee bit less literal?  And how do we know there was dust rather than hard surface or mud?
Has Jesus’ blood really hidden us?  Hidden us from what?
Did Jesus take our shame?  Absolutely not!  He took away our sin; i.e., he took the punishment for our sin and removed our guilt for our sin.


I really, really wish our song leaders would use more discernment in their selections, and leave the radio songs for the radio where they belong.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope noone reads out Psalm 136 in worship, or sing Handel's Hallueljah chorus....

Martha said...

Most of our churches sing all of these songs listed here. Glen, what I find so interesting about what is labeled as contemporary worship are these aspects:

1) The songs are more ad lib than structured, so the praise band, or the worship leader, often ventures off into an instrumental solo, or a vocal solo, apart from the congregation, so it becomes difficult to follow along.

2) I find it interesting to note, that often the person(s) in the front of the room, desire to be back patted, complimented, and pampered, for their amazing musical talent, and when they do not receive the worship of the congregation, I hear the words, "They don't appreciate me, they are using me, my 'gifts' aren't being recognized in the proper way."

3) When those of us who decided to stop singing all of those mundane repetitions, were 'noticed' by the 'worship(?) team, we were mocked, and lied about, concerning our spiritual maturity. How dare we not sing as we are commanded to do so by the musical elites!

4) Praise bands, musicians within the church, love the applause, the hand clapping, the recognition, the cd sales of their music on the table at the back of the church, then turn around and call the rest of us "worldly" for attending a Marie Osmond concert - same elements at the 'church concert.'

5) Most of the songs we sing in the contemporary forum, do include the Name of Jesus, so we could be singing about any deity, including the deity of man as far as that goes.

6) These churches could just as well have signs on the church doors stating, "Welcome, please be prepared to leave your brain, your thought process, your worship of Jesus Christ outside of this door, otherwise you will disappoint the religious men and women inside of this church building."

Love to sing and worship Jesus using Psalms, hymns, and personal words of praise seven days a week, and in the privacy of my own surroundings....and there's no pseudo religious person around to criticize and condemn the sound of my voice....been there and done that.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Anonymous 6/6/17, 5:56 AM

Psalm 136 is obviously a responsive reading/singing text with the response repeated - not the lyrics themselves.

It is also not designed to manufacture emotions as modern "contemporary" songs are designed to do, nor does it show a total lack of imagination on the part of the author as most "worship" songs do. It is also designed for "congregational" settings vs performance by a leader or a "radio song."

Sorry, but you can't justify the modern junk by using this Psalm as an example.

Anonymous said...

Martha,

Precious sister, I could say a number of things about music ministry - for I have been there - but this will suffice: while there are certainly many of the problems in music ministry as you have described, there are some believers who are talented and sincerely want to use their gifts for the Lord. I do want to encourage you in that respect.

-Carolyn

Martha said...

Thank-you Carolyn for your response. Yes, I do believe in using our gifts for our LORD Jesus as He commands us. My concern is that music can and has become an idol in many assemblies with the me, me, and look and hear me performances in which musicians desire the attention and praise of the congregation. The lack of attention offends them if they are not recognized and this is troubling, as I have seen the visible 'church' become more and more man/woman centered than Christ centered over the years.

Perhaps the days of serving our LORD in humility, giving Him all of the glory and praise for bestowing individual gifts upon His people, are indeed, dwindling. I know times have changed regarding musical worship within the organized church and I miss that element of group worship that I grew up with, instead of the praise band performances and individual solos that are replacing corporate worship.

Martha