We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

A Neophyte’s Devotion


Glorious and Holy God,
Provocations against thy divine majesty have filed my whole life.

My offenses have been countless and aggravated.
Conscience has rebuked me,
friends have admonished me,
the examples of others have reproached me,
thy rod has chastised me,
the kindnesses allured me.

Thou hast seen and abhorred all my sins and
couldst easily and justly have punished me,
yet thou has spared me,
been gracious unto me,
given my thy help,
invited me to thy table.

Lord, I thankfully obey thy call,
accept of thy goodness,
acquiesce in thy gospel appointments.

I believe that Jesus thy Son has plenteous redemption;
I apply to him for his benefits,
give up my mind implicitly to his instructions,
trust and glory in his sacrifice,
revere and love his authority,
pray that his grace may reign in my life.

I will not love a world that crucified him,
neither cherish nor endure the sin that put him to grief,
nor suffer him to be wounded by others.

At the cross that relieves my conscience
let me learn lessons of self-denial, forgiveness and submission,
feel motives of obedience,
find resources for all needs of the divine life.

Then let me be what I profess,
do as well as teach,
live as well as hear religion.


From The Valley of Vision, Puritan Prayers and Devotions, p.114-115

No comments: