We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Another Bad “Christian” Song

I’ve never heard of the song, “My Victory,” but a friend pointed me to it last week and I finally have time to address it.  It seems to be the latest song used over and over again at the assembly we left two years ago.  

The writers of this song are Charles Bentley, Darren Muligan, David Crowder, and Ed Cash.  Take a look at the lyrics.

You came for criminals and every pharisee 
You came for hypocrites, even one like me
You carried sin and shame, the guilt of every man
The weight of all I’ve done nailed into Your hands

Oh, your love bled for me
Oh, your blood in crimson streams
Oh, your death is hell’s defeat
A cross meant to kill is my victory

Oh, your amazing grace, I’ve seen and tasted it
It’s running through my veins, I can’t escape its grip 
In you my soul is safe 
You cover everything

Oh, your love bled for me
Oh, your blood in crimson streams
Oh, your death is hell’s defeat
A cross meant to kill is my victory

BRIDGE
Behold the lamb of god
Who takes away our sin, 
Who takes away our sin 
The holy lamb of god 
Makes us alive again
Makes us alive again

Behold the lamb of God 
Who takes away our sin
Who takes away our sin
The holy lamb of god
Makes us alive again
Makes us alive again

Oh, your love bled for me
Oh, your blood in crimson streams
Oh, your death is hell’s defeat
A cross meant to kill is my victory

Nothing like a little repetition to work up those emotions!  As for the theology in the lyrics, my friend said, It’s truncated theology.  "The cross meant to kill is my victory" - no it isn't.  Our victory is in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ and doesn't stop at the cross which was an instrument of suffering for the sake of our sins but it doesn't stop there.  "Your death is hell's defeat" - no it isn’t; Jesus rose from the dead—that is death's defeat.  There is no mention in this song of Jesus’ resurrection. It could have been written by a Catholic wanting to put Jesus on the cross over and over again…

I have to agree with my friend 100% on this one.  Music leaders, where is your discernment?!?!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GOOD CATCH! No mention of the resurrection is an utterly incomplete Gospel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And yes very RC in that it's the cross over and over, but no THREE DAYS LATER...

-Carolyn