We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

The Art of Christian Living


The whole art of Christian living is to know how to talk to yourself.  If you do not preach to yourself you are not a Christian.  A Christian is a preacher, he preaches to himself.  You start your day by telling yourself, “Now I am the new man, I am no longer the old man; my old man has been crucified with Christ, my old man is dead, finished with, he is non-existent; I am no longer what I was. If any man be in Christ he is a new creature, a new creation; old things have passed away, behold all things are become new.”  You start the new day by saying that to yourself. It will not be said to you, it will not happen automatically to you.  The devil will speak to you the moment you wake up, and he will say a thousand and one things to you to depress you before you are even out of bed.  Therefore we have to make a resolution; we are going to get up and to say, “I am a new man in Christ.”  It literally has to be done in detail in this way.


D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones, “Darkness and Light: An Exposition of Ephesians 4:17-5:17,” pg. 145

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great advice!

Joy said...

I really enjoy your blog and appreciate so much the time you put into it. I have learned so much from reading it, and the articles you link to. I would really love it if you could add an email subscription form. I get busy and forget to check your blog, but I never miss an email. Also, a search box would be helpful, since not everything gets labeled (like prayer circles for example). Thank you for considering this, and please keep up the hard work! Thank you.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Hi Joy,

Thank you for following my blog, and for your kind words. It is a challenging ministry!

If you look on the right side of the blog, immediately under my photo, it says "Follow by Email" - just type your email in there. If that doesn't work, email me at the address just below that box and I can "install" it at a section in my admin page -- I do have one subscriber who has a computer which doesn't like the cookie for the email sign-up (she's the first I've ever heard with that problem but we worked around it).

As for a search box, that is in the upper left corner when you are at the top of a page.

Have a blessed day.