We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Random Aberrations, Apostasies, and Heresies

Well, this is my last “RAAH” post for 2015.  There have been so many “RAAH” to report on over the year as I just try to keep up with the major stuff where the wolves are attacking the sheep!  And I know it will only get worse as we get closer and closer to the return of our Lord.  All I can do is warn the sheep so as to protect the flock as much as possible.  Being a sheepdog is hard work!

This week I received an e-mail request for information about Walid Shoebat.  Well, after first looking at Shoebat’s biography on his web site, I had a feeling that he wasn’t quite right.  So then I found a Wikipedia article about him which exposed some fraudulent claims by Shoebat.  So I “Googled” “Walid Shoebat False” and found this article which should pretty much convince people to avoid this man’s teachings. (I don't recommend this site since the individual publishing it has plenty of his own theological issues!)

John Piper had a speech in which he denied the right of Christians to bear arms to protect themselves.  The idea that a Christian is supposed to just stand around and do nothing while his home and family are destroyed by thugs is totally inane.  Dr. Joel McDurmon demonstrated Piper’s poor theology.  James White also disagreed with Piper.  Just one more reason we shouldn’t listen to any teaching by John Piper.

A good reason to put Neale Donald Walsch on your “do not read” list.


Lots of false prophets “profits” out there.  Beware of these wolves fleecing the sheep.

Does your church provide “worshiptainment”?

Talking about “worshiptainment!”

I thought Tim Keller was bad news for the things I’ve previously reported about him, but this article really demonstrates just how bad he really is!

IHOP and the Southern Baptist Convention — serious lack of discernment.

False prophet profit Cindy Jacobs has a prophecy for everyone for 2016 — supposedly from God.  More truthfully to say it came out of her pink head.  OH, but for fun you have to see what she prophesied for 2015!

Beth Moore is now going to be a regular on the heretical Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN).  This should be all the proof anyone needs that she is a false teacher.  Elizabeth Prata has a commentary about it.

Did they really say that?!?  Heretics like Ken Copeland and Jesse Duplantis never cease to amaze me.  What I just learned today is that Copeland’s collection of aircraft is amazing (Citation X, Citation 560, and a few others), and even includes a P-51 Mustang WWII fighter!  This aircraft collection demonstrates just how badly his followers are fleeced.

Finally, some good articles from pastor Gary Gilley of Southern View Chapel:

Review of Jim Cymbala’s book, Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire.

John Wimber, C. Peter Wagner, Paul Cain, Jack Deere, Wayne Grudem, and the Vineyard Movement, part 1 and part 2.  Vineyard is a very aberrant “signs and wonders” movement.

5 comments:

Doug Evans said...

Seeing Mary in a dirty window? I've heard these reports my entire life; on toast, misshapen fruit, oily stains, puffy clouds... I guess idolatry breeds idolatry. My question to observers is: What did Mary really look like? How do you know that's her?

For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will show great signs and wonders, so as to mislead, if possible, even the elect. (Matthew 24:24)

Anonymous said...

I heard about Piper's comments on self defense. Wow, is he ever off the mark. Inane is a good word for it, Glenn.

-Carolyn

Anonymous said...

To Doug Evans,

Great comment! For this same reason, I have a huge problem with those pictures of a jesus type of figure which are displayed in our churches. Some of the most self proclaimed righteous churches have huge murals/painting of that Scandinavian handsome type of jesus figure behind the pulpit/stage. It becomes very distracting when the born again believer knows this is NOT what Christ looked like back in his day for He was a man of no attractive appearance.

Share this with church leadership/laity, and they will make myriads of excuses, then plot against you in throwing you out of the church for addressing this type of idolatry.

Alec said...

Glenn,

E.S. Williams article on Tim Keller should end the discussion of whether or not Keller is sound. He's a seducer who has caused great damage to the churches in New York City and beyond.

Agree with Anonymous - astute comment by Doug.

So appreciate this series. Hope it continues in 2016.

Alec

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Alec,

A while back I had thought about ending the "RAAH" posts because of the time it takes to research the latest stuff, and how long it took to write it all up. I had several comments and e-mails requesting I continue them if possible, so I decided to keep them. BUT, I changed the way I write them; I used to collect the links and then after having a bunch collected I would go back over every article and write my commentary-- however short or long. NOW, when I collect the link I write the comments about it immediately so that when I have a whole page or so full I just copy and paste the whole thing into the blog, and enter the links, and it only takes about 5 minutes to post.

So I plan on keeping these; at least it keeps my blog alive. Between RAAH and quotations, I'm keeping the blog going while I try to get more done on my review of "New Age Bible Versions" and other stuff.