We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Was A.W. Tozer A Mystic?


I've had commenters in the past decry my use of quotations from A.W. Tozer because they claim he was into mysticism.  None of the stuff I've ever read by him shows even a hint of mysticism, but, then again, I've not read all that Tozer has written.  At any rate, I came across this citation by Tozer, printed in the May 2009 issue of The Berean Call apologetics letter:

"Some of my friends good-humoredly -- and some a little bit severely -- have called me a 'mystic.'  Well I'd like to say this about any mysticism I may suppose to have.  If an archangel from heaven were to come, and were to start giving me, telling me, teaching me, and giving me instruction, I'd ask him for the text.  I'd say, 'Where's it say that in the Bible? I want to know.'

"And I would insist that it was according to the scriptures, because I do not believe in any extra-scriptural teachings, nor any anti-scriptural teachings.  I think we ought to put the emphasis where God puts it, and continue to put it there, and to expound the scriptures, and stay by the scriptures.

"I wouldn't -- no matter if I saw a light above the light of the sun, I'd keep my mouth shut about it 'til I'd checked with Daniel and Revelation and the rest of the scriptures to see if it had any basis in truth.  And if it didn't, I'd think I'd just eaten something I shouldn't, and I wouldn't say anything about it.  Because I don't believe in anything that is unscriptural or that is anti-scripture."


1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is the kind of mystic I am too.