We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Did They Really Say That?!?

You say a boil is painful; but that is impossible, for matter without mind is not painful.  The boil simply manifests, through inflammation and swelling, a belief in pain, and this belief is called a boil.  Now administer mentally to your patient a high attenuation of truth, and it will soon cure the boil.  The fact that pain cannot exist where there is no mortal mind to feel it is a proof that this so-called mind makes its own pain — that is, its own belief in pain.  We weep because others weep, we yawn because they yawn, and we have smallpox because others have it; but mortal mind, not matter, contains and carries the infection.

Mary Baker Eddy, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, p.153


So, if I have a boil, it only hurts because I think it hurts?  It only exists because I think it exists?  And I would catch a disease only because I think I will and that thinking then “contains and carries the infection”?!? 

Do I really even have to address this scripturally when real science destroys it?  I have so often stated that “Christian Science” is neither Christian nor science.  This citation is only one among many which demonstrates there is nothing scientific about its teachings.  I find it extremely difficult to believe that people actually accept this nonsense as being true.

8 comments:

ali said...

Oh believe it. Comes in all walks of life, just look at Jimmy Carter and be amazed at the stupidity of man. I think it was Forest Gump that coined the phrase; "stupid is as stupid does."

Anonymous said...

Hi Glenn,

Our minds make up their own pain? That's not terribly different from Hinduism (or is it Buddhism, I'm not sure), where everything is supposedly an illusion. Or those strange engrams the Scientologists make you pay money to supposedly remove. The tenor is the same "it's all in your head".

Yes, I've heard that before - "Christian Science" is neither Christian nor science. Which is clear as day on both counts.

But the Romans 1 blindness set into a heart that repeatedly rejects God, will lead someone to believe many a foolish thing (verse 25).

Ali, your comment made me laugh.

-Carolyn

Doug Evans said...

The founder of the Christian Science Church, Mary Baker Eddy, directed certified practitioners–those who are certified to pray for others to get well–to charge members for praying for their wellness at the same rates doctors charge for providing science-based medicine.

http://readersupportednews.org/pm-section/28-28/326-paying-for-prayer-and-other-nonsense

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Hi Doug,

Oh, I'm well aware of all of Eddy's frauds and horrid teachings. Just have fun looking at all the things I've posted under the label "Christian Science."

If you ever get a chance, see if you can get a hold of Mark Twain's book about C.S. It's a riot.

Anonymous said...

Interesting quote from Mary Baker...so if I get injured, I just tell my injured area "Don't hurt you foolish body part!"

I had a tumor in my abdomen and was experiencing pain for three years before it was removed by my born again Christian surgeon; yes, our Great and Glorious God was so merciful to me in sending a genuine Christian woman I could confide in and trust, physically and spiritually. Alleluia!

To my surprise and dismay, I began to share my condition with a woman in my former church as she was the "prayer request" liason in this particular charismatic/Pentecostal congregation. As I began to tearfully tell her how much pain I was experiencing, her hands flew up in the air and her melodramatic countenance proclaimed, "Oh, we do not speak of our sickness here out loud because it is all in the mind!"

She shut me down and I retreated to the rest room to be alone, stunned by what I had just heard. And yet, when she had ailments, she shared them with others, and when her husband suffered with anger issues/physical issues, she shared them "out loud." Double standards do not witness to me, I am sorry.

I ran out of that church and have not regretted my decision to never return, for when these types of religious systems invite people into their so called Bible studies like the Joyce Meyer's, the Todd Bentleys, the Joel Osteen's and Rick Warren's, the Sid Roth's and the Mike Bickle/New Apostolic Reformation crowd, etc., this is the kind of garbage that will consume the hearts and minds of men. I believe our Bibles call it "sin" and "depravity."

So much for the church sharing and bearing one another's burdens as we are commanded to do by our Holy Scriptures. When you are taught by these wolves in sheep's clothing that you are "little gods" and "god men" and "god women", well then, there is no room for people like me living in this failing aging body in this fallen world.

And people wonder why the church is full to overflowing with therapists, psychiatrists, and psychologists? Hmmmmmm, I guess most church people are quick to say, "Buck up, shut up, and get with the program." No thanks, thank-you very much, I'd rather cling to the words of Jesus, rather than all the wisdom of man.

And for today, Praise Jesus, for He says in His Word, that He will never leave nor forsake us; and this my friends, gives us eternal Hope.

Anonymous said...

I also desire to add that another gentleman from this same religious church told me point blank, "The reason you are sick is because of your own sin." I wondered about this for a long time because that response hurt me to no end for I could not come up with a "particular sin" to point to in my lifestyle that would grow a tumor other than the overall sin of this fallen world.

Due to the cruelty of such a statement I wondered if this man told his own father while dying of a brain tumor, "You are dying Dad, because of your sin."

This is the fruit of the word/faith and lying signs and wonders cultic religious system and the emotional pain is real.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Anonymous,

You accurately point out how so many Christians, especially those in the charismatic groups, actually have very similar teachings about health and "mind over matter" as do the Christian Scientists. I've seen this teaching create great harm. "You are sick because of negative thoughts," or "you are sick because of sin," or "you are sick because of a lack of faith," etc, etc, etc. This unbiblical teaching keeps heretics like Bentley, Osteen, Hinn, et al in their millions of dollars.

Joe said...

Mary Baker Eddy's "teachings" stem from a sad state of wishful thinking. She so wanted to believe in what was unbelievable that she deceived herself into thinking it was so.

That is the circumstance of many of the self described "faith healers," and other purveyors of false doctrine.

Their illness is that they think they are so special that God has chosen them to perform magic that resembles the miracles of Moses or Jesus, but that are as phony as those of the Pharaoh. They prey on the emotions and unrealistic deep wishes of their victims. Only they cannot see it or admit it.

Some, of course, are just money motivated, simi-good actors.

Either way they are wolves in sheep's clothing.