We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Thursday, June 6, 2013

John Crowder


This Q&A is from the June 2013 issue of The Berean Call newsletter.  I’ve heard John Crowder’s name before, but was unaware what a false teacher he is.  I think this Q&A is good information as to why he should be avoided like a plague.

Question: A dear friend of mine, on fire for Jesus, is following John Crowder.  I'm concerned about the wording of his ministry. His teachings are called "mystical school." I just wonder if you know about him and what you think.

Response: John Crowder is part of the movement known as the New Apostolic Reformation, which we've addressed in past issues and this current newsletter. Much of what he teaches is unbiblical.

He follows the example of Benny Hinn, who revealed that he periodically visits Aimee Semple McPherson's and Kathryn Kuhlman's graves to partake of their "anointing": "Friday I am gonna go and visit Kathryn Kuhlman's tomb. It's close by Aimee's in Forest Lawn Cemetery. I've been there once already and every so often I like to go and pay my respects 'cause this great woman of God has touched my life. And that grave, uh, where she's buried is closed, they built walls around it. You can't get in without a key and I'm one of the very few people who can get in. But I'll never forget when I saw Aimee's tomb....I actually, I--I, hear this, I trembled when I visited Aimee's tomb. I was shaking all over. God's power came all over me.... I believe the anointing has lingered over Aimee's body....It's amazing. I've heard of people healed when they visited that tomb" (Benny Hinn sermon, "Double Portion Anointing," Part #3, Orlando Christian Center, Orlando, Fla., April 7, 1991. From the series, Holy Ghost Invasion. TV#309).

John Crowder says much the same thing, and it is not difficult to find video footage of him and his students at the graves of charismatic superstars such as Alexander Dowie (Scottish evangelist and faith healer) and Maria B. Woodworth-Etter (pentecostal evangelist and healer, known for trances occurring during her services). "We've just come to the grave today to release to you an impartation of healing revival, of city building, restoration city-taking anointing, master-building apostolic anointing, and so we just rip it right out of the ground, we just suck it right off his dead bones, in Jesus name, and loose it to you, a healing-revival-glory-master-building-apostolic anointing glory [emphasis added]." Crowder is advocating necromancy, or contact with the dead--something expressly forbidden by Scripture (Lv 19:31; Dt 18:9-12, 15; 1 Sm 28; 1 Chr 10:13-14; Is 8:19, etc.).

If a person desires spiritual communication with someone wiser than he, should he not consider the biblical promise of our Lord, who has promised never to leave us nor forsake us? James tells us that "if any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not..." (Ja 1:5). The writer of the epistle to the Hebrews urges us to "come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need" (Heb 4:16).

Crowder's teaching is riddled with drug references, such as "Toking the Ghost" (the title of a CD he produced), which compares the fullness of the Spirit to being stoned on drugs. The first track on the CD "Holy Ghost Hits" has the sounds of a "bong," or water pipe, bubbling as a background to a recitation of a portion of the 23rd Psalm.

Crowder attempts to explain the drug references by saying, "even atheistic people on the street understand that when we get 'high on Jesus,' we are not endorsing drugs. In fact, the opposite is true! The exact reason we use 'addiction' terminology in relation to God is to get people free from drugs through the power of the cross (original link). At best, Crowder's references are confusing: "'Get whacked, stay whacked, never go back!' 'We're huffin' olive wood from the garden of Gethsemane,' he tells an interviewer in Israel. 'And we been snortin' some dust from the tomb of our Lord and Savior. We been smokin' Baby Jesus' (original link).

Drug references aside, Crowder's embrace of mysticism raises further concerns. "Toking the Ghost's" liner notes inform us that excerpts have been taken from Brother Lawrence, the Vulgate, Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, Teresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, and various Bible translations, including The Cotton Patch Version of Paul's Epistles. As Crowder notes concerning his Mystical Schools, "Our Mystical School is an intensive, three-day course with in-depth instruction, activation and hands-on impartation with John Crowder. These deeper courses in contemplative, supernatural Christianity are geared for a smaller group environment, with limited registration, to foster an atmosphere of intimacy, personal prophecy and vigorous impartation. There will be ample time for questions and answers, with sessions running 6-8 hours each day and mornings free for prayer, soaking and reflection. In these courses you will: Operate in Trances, Raptures & Ecstatic Prayer, Experience Physical Phenomena of Mysticism, Get Activated in Creative Miracles, Signs & Wonders, Understand Your Access to New Creation Realities, Be Activated in the Seer Realm, Prophecy, Spirit Travel..." and similar claims.

Unfortunately, his "New Creation Realities" are not biblical realities. They are satanic deceptions. These are just a few of the issues that should be a concern to us who love His word.

9 comments:

Jon Gleason said...

Glenn, I've only heard John Crowder's name. I may never need to know anything about him -- I hope that is the case.

But if I do, I'm thankful for the resource you provide here. Whether it be Crowder, or Christian Science, or a variety of other things, I don't have to be an expert on those things, or have answers for people at the tip of my tongue. I can get on with pastoring without having to know as much about the various false teachings as used to be necessary -- resources like yours are available if I need further details than I already know.

That is a blessing to me. What you do may seem thankless at times, but it frees me from having to know anything about this man. I'll recognise his name if someone asks me, and look him up.

So I just wanted to say thank you. As long as you continue careful to avoid false accusations, this will be a valuable resource for me and others like me.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Thank you, Jon.

That is sort of one of the purposes of apologetics ministries - to get the info for the pastors, since they don't have time to do all the research.

I do my best to not point fingers falsely, or too frivolously. There are a lot of teachers which I have disagreements with, but if they don't teach apostate or heretical stuff, then I don't bother.

ali said...

It is tragic that "christians" today choose to follow man rather than God.

Dr. OZ, Oprah, Benny and Kenny... and now John Crowder.

Guess it is easier to swallow and follow instead of being a student of His Word and, as the Berean, check it out.

Thanksk for the hat tip, will keep my eyes and ears open for JC.




Anonymous said...

Here is an article I wrote about Brian "Head" Welch (a "Christian" musical artist) and in it I document Crowder's blasphemy and the result of the "fruit" (more like spoiled fruit) of what has spawned from his ministry. https://sites.google.com/site/reflectionsfromthewall/videos/follow-me/blog/thefruitofbrianheadwelch

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Sarah,
Thanks much for that link to your article. This guy is downright dangerous!!!

Joe said...

Dare we ignore I Corinthians 3:1-11?

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Joe,

Would you care to explain?

KENNY BOSTON said...

Blogger Glenn E. Chatfield said...
Sarah,
Thanks much for that link to your article. This guy is downright dangerous!!!

June 7, 2013 at 3:38 PM THATS WHAT THEY SAID ABOUT JESUS have you seen his fruits preaching all over the world india uganda syria

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Kenny Boston,

I have no idea what you are talking about at the end there. Are you saying that the charges we are making against Crowder are the same charges people made against Jesus? And are you saying that Crowder preaching all over the world are evidence of fruit?

If he is teaching falsely all over the world, the only fruit he is spreading is rotten.