We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Monday, February 18, 2013

Psychoheresy


In my opinion, advocating, allowing and practicing psychiatric and psychoanalytical dogmas within the church is every bit as pagan and heretical (and therefore perilous) as propagating the teachings of some of the most bizarre cults.  The only vital difference is that the cults are less dangerous because their errors are more identifiable, since they are controverted by existing creedal statements.

Jay Adams, A Theology of Christian Counseling, pp.xi,xii

4 comments:

Joe said...

I majored in Psychology at Stetson University. After having done so, I concluded that (by my actual measurement) 97.456372847% of it is pure, unadulterated bunk.

Physiological Psychology is the only division that stands a chance of being real science, and 93.462746352% of IT is bunk.

Ron Livesay said...

I also majored in psychology - yuck! The only class I consider worthwhile was statistics.

Ron Livesay said...

By the way, Joe, I believe you are quite generous. I believe it is all bunk. Studying human behavior without considering the nature of man can only result in worthless conclusions. You are right - psychology is bunk.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Over the years of seeing all sorts of pyschobabble used to excuse people of personal responsibility, as well as being used to justify sexual perversions of every sort, I decided to study what I could about the field.

My supervisor took Psychology 101 in college, and loaned me his textbook; the more I read in there the more appalled I was at the field. That led me to Purchasing some books by E.Fuller Torrey, and from there my library on the subject began to grow.

Back in about 2005 a friend asked me to partner with him in a seminary class paper on the psych fields (they were allowed to team with anyone as their partner), and that was an interesting exercise. I eventually posted my share of the report in a series on this blog (look under the label for "Psychology"), which you may find interesting - if you haven't already been there.