We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Random Apostasies and Heresies


I’m thinking about discontinuing this “Random” series as a regular posting.  It takes a lot of time reviewing all the goofy stuff in the Church, and there are many more articles I want to write!  If you are interested in keeping up to date with such problems, about half of my sources are listed in the blogs I follow on my profile page, while a few more are on ‘My Blog List” and “Some favorite apologetics sites” listed in the right-hand column of this blog.   Rather than wait until I have a collection, I think with more important issues I’ll just do a short report pointing to the article I refer to.  I guess we’ll just see how it goes, but I think alerting Christians to what is happening in the church, and what to avoid, etc, is very important.

Tim Keller has more issues we need to be careful about; he is teaching Romanist and Quaker mysticism.  Why is it so many good teacher seem to think this mysticism is good?!?!

Steve Chalke, who is supposed to be the U.K.’s leading evangelical, is 100% for same-sex fake marriage.  He equates supporting such an abomination with opposing slavery.  As with other so-called Christians who support same-sex fake marriage, Chalke just says we don’t understand what the Bible says about homosexuality.  Yeah, right.

And of course the ever-apostate United Church of Christ is also increasing their push for the legalization of same-sex fake marriage nation-wide.  More people who don’t read their Bible!

Ken Silva posted an article by Gary Hand examining the heretical “Wider Mercy Doctrine” - the “belief that salvation can be obtained even when a person has not heard the gospel and does not know Jesus Christ.”  Yep, a form of universalism.  Heretic Robert Schuller has taught this, and so has Billy Graham.


I learned of something new this week: “Incarnational Ministry.”  The Cripplegate examines this idea - and why the title is wrong-headed.

More on the imbroglio about Louis Giglio comes from Pyromaniacs.

Apprising Ministries posted another article about problems with Nicky Gumbel’s The Alpha Course.  I don’t think we can have enough articles exposing this spiritually damaging course.

I’ve posted some short items about spiritual abuse in the past, but I think it is another very important issue to understand.  There are many false teachers us use spiritual abuse to control their followers, and one of the first names which comes to my mind is Bill Gothard!  (Just read the many testimonies at Recovering Grace.)  I highly recommend the book, “The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse,” by David Johnson & Jeff VanVonderen, which I picked up 12 years ago at a Biblical Counselors’ Conference.
Ken Silva posted an excellent article on the subject, “Beware of Spiritual Abuse.”

I wonder what in the world is going on with Andy Stanley?!?  I previously pointed out his apparent approval of homosexuality, but now he thinks President Obama should be titled, “Pastor in Chief”!!!  Barak Obama, the man who is the most pro-abortion president in history (and who called a child, “punishment”), the man who is the most pro-homosexual agenda President in history, and the man who is the most pro-Islam and anti-Israel President in history - and Stanley thinks he should be called “Pastor in Chief”?!?!
I direct you to three good articles on the subject by two apologetics ministries: Apprising Ministries (which includes other information about Stanley’s pre-inaugural sermon) and  Sola Sisters.

Don Veinot, of Midwest Christian Outreach, has a good example of how to respond to those who say we are mean for exposing false teachers.  I’ve heard Don in person tell about his method of responding, and I always liked it.  In this article he gives some examples of assaults he has responded to.

For those who aren’t convinced that Todd Bentley is nothing but a show-boating charlatan of a false teacher, take a gander at the video provided by Ken Silva.  All I see is a demonic spirit behind Bentley - it certainly isn’t anything holy.

Just remember to be alert at all times - the wolves are watching for their opportunity to devour the sheep.

5 comments:

Louise said...

I'll miss your Random posts Glenn, but will surely keep reading. We so need to be aware of what's going on. I have a brother who is very involved with the WOF movement and I've attempted to explain their faults, to no avail. He doesn't have a computer, but does have a satellite TV where all the 'faith' people congregate. Thank you for speaking the truth.

Anonymous said...

Glenn,
Follow the LORD's leading about what to spend your time with. many are blessed with the amount of research and thought that you dedicate to teaching. Random may be , random, and not the best use of your time. My entire family is blessed by your labor and faithfulness to speak and encourage. Deeper waters may be the way of Christ. Blessing you and yours.
Syd

ali said...

I too will miss Random... gives me much to think about - exposes things I was unaware of.

Thanks for your diligence - Be blessed as you continue to serve our LORD and His body.

Shalom. ali

Joe said...

"Why is it so many good teacher seem to think this mysticism is good?!?!"

I think it is because for far too many, Jesus and His Word are not quite enough. To them, there needs to be a little bit more.

Personally, I love your Randoms.

Steve Bricker said...

It would be much better if you were cutting back on this for lack of material (a fellow can dream), but the examples of bad teaching and shepherding seems to be climbing at an ever increasing rate.