We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Monday, January 16, 2012

Investigate Religious Beliefs

"The subject of eternity is of infinite moment to all; and each individual has sufficient capacity to embrace truth instead of error, provided the due exercises of the faculties are instituted.  Then, when any subject is presented to us in the garb of religion, we ought carefully investigate it, and compare it with the standard which should be our rule of faith and practice.... If any doubts hang over the subject, it is reasonable that a scrupulous search, and a critical enquiry be instituted by us."
E.D. Howe, Mormonism Unvailed, p. 37-38

6 comments:

Cristofer Urlaub said...

That's a very important and wise insight. I wish more people, including the LDS, would apply it.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

The book I cited was an early examination of the false claims of Mormonism.

IF people in the LDS would apply this, the LDS would cease to exist, since it is indeed a false belief system.

Cristofer Urlaub said...

I understand what book it is from, but I believe that even people I disagree with can have some good ideas (this is why I still follow your blog, which I do often find uplifting and/or educational), and the LDS are certainly not a perfect people, but almost anybody could use this advice, regardless of religious affiliation.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

I agree that we can learn some good ideas from people with differing philosophies, which is why I scout out all kinds of stuff.

I am more saddened by those such as the LDS and Jehovah's Witnesses who think they have the truth because they've never investigated on their own. I am saddened because I don't want anyone ending up in Hell, but those who do not have the truth will be there.

I am honored that you consider my blog worthy of following, seeing as how I'm an ex-Mormon.

Cristofer Urlaub said...

The fact that you're an Ex-Mormon isn't an issue for me. Truth is truth no matter who's mouth it comes out of.

Your response and sentiments build my respect for you. I may not agree with all of your doctrines, but you're a kind and sympathetic person. It gets harder and harder to find people like that these days.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Thank you for your kind words. :)