We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer
Therefore let God-inspired Scripture decide between us; and on whichever side be found doctrines in harmony with the word of God, in favor of that side will be cast the vote of truth. --Basil of Caesarea
Once you learn to discern, there's no going back. You will begin to spot the lie everywhere it appears.

I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because He considered me faithful, putting me into service. 1 Timothy 1:12

Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Power of the Cross

This morning in our assembly of saints we sang a contemporary worship song by  Keith Getty and Stuart Townend.  That team has some really doctrinally powerful songs.  The lyrics are well worth contemplating.
The Power of the Cross
Oh, to see the dawn
Of the darkest day:
Christ on the road to Calvary.
Tried by sinful men,
Torn and beaten, then
Nailed to a cross of wood.
CHORUS:
This, the power of the cross:
Christ became sin for us;
Took the blame, bore the wrath—
We stand forgiven at the cross.
Oh, to see the pain
Written on Your face,
Bearing the awesome weight of sin.
Every bitter thought,
Every evil deed
Crowning Your bloodstained brow. 
Now the daylight flees;
Now the ground beneath
Quakes as its Maker bows His head.
Curtain torn in two,
Dead are raised to life;
"Finished!" the victory cry. 
Oh, to see my name
Written in the wounds,
For through Your suffering I am free.
Death is crushed to death;
Life is mine to live,
Won through Your selfless love.
FINAL CHORUS:
This, the pow'r of the cross:
Son of God—slain for us.
What a love! What a cost! 
We stand forgiven at the cross.

3 comments:

Steve Bricker said...

Good words. We also did a Getty/Townsend song this morning, and I cannot remember the title. That is a good songwriting team.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

I highlight three others in past posts:
O Church Arise
In Christ Alone
How Deep the Father's Love For Us.

That last one goes really good on the bagpipes.

ali said...

One of my favorites:

I’m forgiven because You were forsaken, I’m accepted, You were condemned. I am alive and well, Your spirit is within me,Because You died and rose again.

Amazing love, How can it be
That You, my King, should die for me? Amazing love, I know it’s true.
It’s my joy to honor You, In all I do, I want to honor You.

Happy Thanksgiving one and all - we have much for which to be thankful, our Salvation heads the list.