We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets, and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum. A.W. Tozer

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Random Apostasies and Heresies - and Some Good Stuff

Believe it or not, now there is an upcoming conference where young people can be indoctrinated into all things Emergent.  This is what happens when the church at large has not excommunicated Brian McLaren and his ilk from true Christianity by preaching against him from the pulpit.
Yvonne has an excellent post comparing “Kingdom Now” (Dominion) theology with what the Bible has to say about the Kingdom of Christ.  I highly recommend your perusal over there.  While you’re at it, pop on over to Herescope to read about “Who Invented Dominionism.” You can spend a lot of time at that site reading other related articles to learn all about this apostate and often heretical teaching.
Another interesting article I found this week will help you understand how cults and false teachers abuse the scripture.  Take a look at “20 Scripture Twisting Techniques.” There is a lot of good stuff on this blog.
It is difficult to keep up with all the false teachers out there who are doing their best to lead people astray from the true Faith.  I just learned of a new one this week, Jentezen Franklin.  Stop over at “Do Not Be Surprised...” to read about this goatherd.
There is one danger when it comes to teaching the truth - you will be ostracized by other Christians!  Ken Ham, of Answers in Genesis, has had speaking engagements at Christian events cancelled because he stood for the truth of Creation against the likes of the false teachers at BioLogos.  A report today comes from AIG, telling us the troubles of another Christian suffering for the truth.  It is sad when Christians join the secular world in running from truth.

Lighthouse Trails reports on the Southern Baptist Convention’s rejection of the new gender-neutral NIV Bible.  But, as LT points out, SBC is more than willing to promote the aberrant “mess” of The Message, the false teachings of the Renovare Spiritual Formation Study Bible, as well as promote contemplative/emergent teachers.  And of course they have no problem at all with the false teachings of Beth Moore.  So why are they not as discerning with this other harmful material?
Lastly, I came across this post this morning.  It gives some good signs of abusive church leaders.  Take a look to see if you recognize any of these signs at your church.

8 comments:

Yvonne said...

Hi, Glenn!

Thanks for linking to us. I am beginning to put some pieces together when it comes to the teaching of common grace. Sandy Simpson's article and another one:

http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/eschatology/worldview.html

... has helped me to understand even more.

I'm teaching David Noebel's worldview course at our home school co-op this year and it's written from the 'redeem the culture' perspective. So I really want to understand this.

Hope you and Jill are doing well!

~Yvonne

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Hi Yvonne,

I read the article about common grace, and while I have disagreements with some of Kuyper's view, I have even more problems with Reformed/Calvinist/Augustinian theology (no, I'm not Arminian). So I found the article to be very, very problematic from what I consider a biblical perspective.

BUT, I like David Noebel's stuff for the most part. I have his great book, "Understanding the Times," which we used for "social studies" in our home-schooling.

We are doing as well as can be expected :). Too much time with doctors this year, but God is good.

Yvonne said...

Would be very interested in your thoughts/concerns on Kuyper, as well as Reformed/Calvinist/Augustinian theology. Do you have anything written or can you point me to some good articles?

I have discovered an excellent resource: Dr. Paul Elliott, of Teaching the Word Ministries. He's helping me understand legalism, with regards to Christian Reconstructionism and paedobaptism. Very helpful now that I've been worshiping at a PCA church.

Here's his link: www.teachingtheword.org

Thanks & blessings!
~Yvonne

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

I've only read bits and pieces of Kuyper, mostly citations in many books. SO I really don't know much about him other than the citations, one of which is on my social commentary blog above the photo of me piping.

As for Calvinism (which has taken over the title "Reformed" as if Calvin was the only reformer), which is nothing but rehashed Augustinianism, I don't address it on this blog because it gets divisive. I just say I don't agree with it and let that lay. I think a very good article examining Calvinism is by Caryl Matrisciana at http://www.carylmatrisciana.com/site/
Then look over on the right side under "Calvinism" and you can access her "teaching tool." It was designed as an outline for a class so it has a lot of repetition, but I think it is valuable nevertheless.

I looked over Elliot's site and it looks pretty good. Our best friends headed for a PCA church when the church we all attended had a problem of sin they refused to deal with, causing five families to leave (we were one of them). Their pastor is pretty solid - except for his Calvinism :oD.

Yvonne said...

Thanks, Glenn!

Judy and I had a conversation this morning about Calvinism, John Calvin and Augustine. It would seem that John Calvin was quite the disciple of Augustine and didn't 'reform' quite enough of Catholic teaching ~ infant baptism, redistribution of wealth, the 'Church' offers salvation. Very disturbing.

Because I live in a rural community finding a Christ-centered, Bible-teaching church has been difficult. At this point, I'm just glad to be part of a community of believers after having home-church for so long.

I'm resting in the knowledge that God is in control. =]

~Yvonne

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

I have to agree with your assessment of Calvin. The good thing I have found is that MOST PCA teachers are very good and some of my favorites are Calvinists (John MacArthur, John Piper - his old stuff - don't like him any more - Gary Gilley, et al) You just have to filter out the Calvinist stuff :oD

Joe said...

I am a Southern Baptist. I am a Southern Baptist not for its theological stance (it technically does not have any).

Technically, the Southern Baptist Convention exists only once a year, when it convenes. The rest of the time an Executive Committee carries out the instructions given it by the Convention when it convened.

Every church in the SBC is autonomous. Absolutely no body tells, or tries to tell, our church what to believe, what to do, what materials to use or otherwise exercises any influence on our church what so ever.

Sometimes it does not practically work out that way, but in our church (as in other SBC affiliated churches I have served) it has been the overwhelming general rule.

The task of the Executive Committee is to make it possible for member churches to cooperate in missionary work at home and abroad.

Our churches are almost always the first ones on sight at national disasters. In Moore, OK, we served 30,000 meals the first day after the event. FEMA hasn't managed to get itself organized there YET!

Anyway, the point is a given Southern Baptist Convention may or may not accept or reject a particular "translation" of the Bible. That action is not in any way binding on any church affiliated with them.

The same applies to Beth Moore. I am Southern Baptist and I would not send my dog to a Beth Moore conference. My church has many problems with her teaching.

Some SBC churches, by the way, are rife with apostasies. Some are not. They can do and be what they want. As can my church.

You cannot ascribe to all "SBC" churches the actions of any given Southern Baptist Convention. The conventions don't even have to (and very often don't) agree with each other from year to year.

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Joe,
If you notice, I did not mention individual assemblies in my comments about the SBC, rather the criticism was directed at the SBC as an institution.

I know full well that individual assemblies have their own ideas.